Author Topic: Asking for Outside Quotes  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Mike

Asking for Outside Quotes
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »
Hello Everyone, As a new member, I am still trying to find my way around. My apologies if I get into the wrong areas. I am in the process of writing a book about Fire Service Change. A question I have is: Are there any implications regarding the asking of outside people to supply quotes that would support one's writings? Would I have to compensate them? etc.
Thanks, Mike

Lin

Re: Asking for Outside Quotes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:09:05 AM »
As a newcomer to writing perhaps you would clarify for me what you mean by 'support one's writings?'

I wasnt quite sure exactly what you meant, when I know maybe I can help.

Lin

SuzieHarris

Re: Asking for Outside Quotes
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 07:14:00 AM »
Hi Mike,

When  I was writing my book, I found that people are more than happy to talk to you about subjects close to them, especially when you tell them it's for a book.

You need to make sure that they are aware that what they say will be reproduced and ALWAYS check any facts that they give you and try to back them up with further quotes.

Some people will try it on and ask for payment, but in my experience that's personal choice as to whether you do it or not. As I said before, you will find people will trip over themselves to help you once they know what it's for!

Hope that helps! Feel free to contact me if you want to chat more about it.

Suzie