Author Topic: MWC poetry anthology: Final stages -  (Read 27527 times)

Offline Mark T

MWC poetry anthology: Final stages -
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:26:20 AM »
For the convenience of new and existing visitors, the arrived-at method of assembling the anthology is described below.

Stage 1:
All MWC members, poetic or otherwise, are invited to compile and submit a list of 25 poets whose posted poetry in 2013 appealed to them.(No self-nomination, naturally.)
PM your list to Mark T and please copy to Ma100 who is moderating the process.
Submissions of nominated poets are open until the end of January.
Please ensure your name-list contains 25 handles so that the top 20 poets can be calculated by simple average.

Stage 2:
The 20 nominees will be invited by PM to each submit 5 of their own poems posted anywhere on MWC in 2013 that they consider were most well-received by their readership. Participation by nominees is elective.
As there is no judging or further selection, all of these poems will automatically qualify for inclusion in the anthology. It is apparent that the poet selection process is therefore entirely driven by the members who submit the nominations, and the choice of poems is by the nominees.

Stage 3:
Once all 100 poems have been received and digested, a pair of senior Hero members will act as editors by structuring the anthology in terms of themes, styles and so forth, according to their best reckoning.
The editors are not tasked with editing for style but if considered necessary may refer any pieces back to the authors with suggestions to correct any ďauthor blindnessĒ errors of logic or grammar etc. Any changes are at the authorís discretion.

Stage 4:
Upon completion of the anthology by the editors, it will be submitted to the moderating panel for further decision with regard to internal MWC release and possible further distribution and/or publication.

I guess thatís it for now. If there are any questions please post as comments in this thread. Further suggestions to refine the process are also welcome.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:44:00 PM by Mark T »

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
Re: MWC poetry anthology 2013: Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
I don't think any of the moderators would have a problem with this, as long as we don't get stuck doing the work :)

How many pages are you envisaging this to be? Last time there were not enough entries to make it viable (books on lulu start at about £6, and not many people want to pay that much for a booklet that's 15 pages long. Selling it as an e-book on Amazon might work though.)

Also, who's going to decide what's in or out? Or will you just say "All entries accepted"? If the former, who's willing to be the big baddie who says, "this isn't good enough"? (i didn't have the heart last time, so I was going to go the "all entries accepted" route - but there were so few entries it didn't make a difference anyway.)

Also, if you are going "all entries accepted", what is the USP? We've got some really good writers on MWC, but a volume with no quality control is not going to be a match for say something edited by Billy Collins (or insert your favourite contemporary poet) - or is it just to sell to friends of MWC members?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:25:44 AM by Amie »
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Mark T

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »

PM reply to Amie.

Offline bri h

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:22:12 PM »
A panel of judges. I nominate Shvon, Tom, Drab, and Marks' H and T.
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:28:15 PM »
Don't jump the gun too far sunshine. You near named every poet who will contribute.  :D
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline bri h

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
I know, 'sunny drip.'  ;D
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline heidi52

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 03:36:44 PM »
I think we should poll the poets group and see what the interest level is, and how many poets would be willing to contribute. Once we see if it's viable, then we can work out the "hows".

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
For your information, the last poetry book I was involved in was 103 pages. I can let you know how many poems there were if needed. It was a thin book with no spine.

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »
Is that the starting point mate? I mean, the smallest book there is?

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
Yes mate.

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »
eeek

That's good to know mate, thanks.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
not as thin as the Italian Book of War Heroes I hope ;D
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »
I think the anthology could have sections for form poetry, limericks and doggerel, our very own American Paragraph as well as American Sentence poems, and haiku as well as free verse. ::)

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
Good flippin' luck on formatting that mate. Poetry formatting took Me, Amie and Andrew a month to the detriment of the prose anthology. One of the main problems were hidden codes on submissions.

Also, because of the way poetry is set out there was lot of white space. A poem tagged onto another is not visually pleasing. It didn't help when one of the poets right near the completion decided he'd made an error near the front and we had to reformat all over again. :'(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:09:10 PM by ma100 »

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »
The formatting will be just as problematical no matter what is submitted -- depends how the poets have presented it. ::)