Author Topic: Frances has a little pre Christmas frolic. (About 400 words.)  (Read 9769 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: Frances has a little pre Christmas frolic. (About 400 words.)
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 04:41:21 AM »
The short pieces like this are an example of how sometimes a scene can pop into my head fully formed and won't go away until I give in and write it.  Writer's playtime. There's a time to be deadly serious, and a time to play.  Balance in all things.

Whilst I'm editing their novel length tale it's fun to sometimes tackle a short piece which can exist outside the framework but still lets me play with them.  It keeps them alive in my mind.

Skylan:  Please don't be jealous.  If you see something in another's work to learn from, then learn it.  If you see something which annoys you, or doesn't fit the way you want to write, ignore it.  I've been playing with words and generally loving every step of the journey for around sixty years.  It's a lifetime apprenticeship.  I'm not the most driven of writers, except occasionally, but I seriously believe that anyone who gets smug about whatever talent they may have stands a good chance of losing it.

See it as an ongoing process, and enjoy the journey.

On my shelves I have an ancient typescript from when I first introduced John and Frances to each other, right at the end of a sprawling tale.  Sometimes I jokingly refer to it as my bible.  Quite frankly it's dire.  Some good ideas, but...  I keep it as reminder of how much I didn't know.

Gyppo  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:19:50 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Skylan

• -
Re: Frances has a little pre Christmas frolic. (About 400 words.)
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 07:46:02 AM »
I shall keep my jealousy under control then. :) I shall learn all I can from you as well!

2par- sign me up, yo!