Author Topic: Networking and publicity  (Read 7766 times)

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
Re: Networking and publicity
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »
It can actually have a negative influence on a career.  ;) ;)

Offline ritawriting

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2013, 11:16:30 PM »
The more I read the more contradictions and dilemmas I find everywhere about marketing including social media. Maybe it is whatever it is. I am discovering I have to trust my way of doing things but also continue to challenge myself the push the edges of my comfort zone to include things that I would prefer to avoid. But I have also learnt that I can walk around in circles, no make that "run around in circles" if I push myself too far out of my comfort zone and my brain starts to sizzle, and not in a good way. Smells like burning rubber.  :o

Offline 2par

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2013, 11:43:24 PM »
If one has a family member who can be unstable at times on your FB page, would you be ostracized by possible business associates or would they just think it interesting?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:51:36 PM by 2par »

Wolfe

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 12:19:18 AM »
If one has a family member who can be unstable at times on your FB page, would you be ostracized by possible business associates or would they just think it interesting?

I wouldn't call that a positive, but the business is more interested in you, and your work, than the antics of an unstable so-and-so. But, if you're in doubt, there's block and delete.

I'd rather have an unhappy family member than an unhappy career. Truth of the matter is, someone in your family is going to hate you because you're a writer. Successful or otherwise. Know this now, so you'll expect their hands out, and their venom, later.

You're lazy, get a real job, anybody can write. And when you're successful? Can I borrow some money? Will you sign my copy so I can sell it on Ebay? You're just a stingy ass who thinks you're better than us now.

Of course . . . that may be my family. Your experience may differ.  ::)  For your sake, I hope so.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:21:36 AM by Wolfe »

Offline 2par

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2014, 12:29:48 AM »
Thank you for your response.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 07:07:23 AM »
You're just a stingy ass who thinks you're better than us now.

Do you know what really pisses me off about people with this attitude?  That these people dare to presume they know what I'm thinking.  They generally have no idea what I'm thinking.

I must admit it tends to trigger a 'Sod you then' response my mind.  If their friendship was that fragile to start with is it worth mending?

I'm reminded of the saying 'If you lend a man a tenner and never see him again it was well worth it.'  Sad, but true.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:19:14 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Wolfe

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 07:26:08 AM »
Well, on the plus side, all these family antics give me great material for books. If I need an asshole of a character, I just reach for the family album and pick. Sad, but true.

If nothing else, a dramatic life tends to help one write dramatic fiction.

But, to bring the the thread back on topic, I wouldn't dare to air that laundry on FaceBook or Twitter. Like anyone needs to give that level of stupid a valid reason to sue you.

So here's to hoping for a calm, and drama-free, year.  I have plenty of material for a lifetime. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 07:27:43 AM by Wolfe »

Jo Bannister

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »
Wolfe - repeat after me: Friends (and that includes MWC friends) are God's apology for family.  Or, as I like to say: It's better to light a flame-thrower than to curse the darkness.

Hi Brian - Quite possibly.  I haven't read it.  If it was marketed primarily on-line, I'd be unlikely to come across it.  This is one of the downsides of authors doing promo.  Of course they tell you their books are good!  I would, you would.  But do you buy a used car simply because the guy selling it says it's good?  Or do you look to a reputable publication for an independent assessment?  This is why I don't think networking is a fraction as valuable to book-selling as newspaper and trade reviews.

Offline bri h

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2014, 02:08:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jo. I wouldn't know about the benefits of FB for publication, I'm so far removed from you all. By the time I'm ready to publish anything, I think FB and Twitter will be 'old-technology.' ha ha. HNY to you. B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Wolfe

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
Wolfe - repeat after me: Friends (and that includes MWC friends) are God's apology for family.  Or, as I like to say: It's better to light a flame-thrower than to curse the darkness.

(laugh) I'll have to remember that one.  :D

Offline 2par

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 03:47:24 AM »
Jo, I love that about friends. Thanks.

JewelAS53

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2014, 01:37:49 AM »
So here's to hoping for a calm, and drama-free, year.  I have plenty of material for a lifetime. :)
You and me both, Wolfe. To all of the above.