Author Topic: Networking and publicity  (Read 7774 times)

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
Networking and publicity
« on: December 29, 2013, 04:34:26 AM »
The more I read on the internet, the more I feel networking, publicity schemes and book tours are more important than getting writing time. So how the flippin' heck do writers get time to concentrate if they have to check all these social sites, emails or go somewhere each day? ???

Offline 2par

Re: Networking and publicity
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 04:39:52 AM »
They don't sleep except for little naps on the train.

And how does S.King get to go to the Red Sox games?

Wolfe

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:01:43 AM »
Your number one job as a writer is to write. Don't let the actions of others fool you. We hire assistants, when we reach a certain level in our careers, to do all the things you mentioned. And, sadly, some also hire assistants to do some of the writing.

But that's another topic.

Write first. Without a book, there's no point of signings, tours, and all the other glorious things you get to do as a writer trying to promote your book. Yeah . . . glorious.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 05:08:30 AM by Wolfe »

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:19:29 AM »
Sounds pretty scary to me, mixing with strangers and actually having to open your mouth. I know I'd be a stuttering wreck. :'(

Thanks Wolfe, like all things, I thought the finished product was the important thing, but I see so much self promotion going on I really wonder if this is going to scupper any chances I may have because I'm not good at mixing.

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 05:28:43 AM »
I know a little about web marketing and SEO. ;)  For some reason, artists (writers, musicians, painters, etc.) think they need Twitter, Facebook, Blogs, etc. Probably the result of people hawking their wares to buy. All you need is a basic website to promote your work. Stay away from any "free" sites and anything else that makes you look like an amateur.

As Wolf mentioned, I'd concentrate on writing first, then look at online marketing. Otherwise you're wasting a lot of your time. Social media is fun, but not a marketing tool. I'm sure you will get opposite opinions.  ;)  ::)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »
The man who wrote the stories containing Hannibal Lecter is famous for not doing signings, interviews, etc.  He shuns personal publicity, which may be why I can't recall his name without needing to go on line and look it up.  You know, in some ways that's the ultimate accolade.  I remember the books, and the characters, but not the author's name.

=====

I've been to quite a few talks by authors over the years.  Some are slick hustlers, promoting their latest and greatest with all the finesse of an Arab street  trader or a Gypsy Flower Seller.  You get the feeling they could sell porcelain bathroom fittings with equal enthusiasm.

Some deliver a standard sounding speech, but start to come alive when answering questions. (Hardly surprising really.  If someone's read your books and knows your characters you have mutual - albeit imaginary - friends to talk about.)

Some of the very best are - and this should surprise very few of us - essentially quiet and shy people.  They invite the audience down to the front if they're scattered around a hall, then sit on the edge of the stage, feet dangling, and speak to you quietly as if it's an impromptu gathering of friends.  Sometimes they look quite surprised at the answers a good question draws from them.

And some, like many other craftsmen who 'talk' with their fingers and hands - painters, sculptors, jewellers, etc - are never going to take to public speaking.  It can be learned, but if you're not happy doing it then it shows.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:46:23 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Lin

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 07:58:14 AM »
I try to have a schedule.  I fix all my networking within a two hour period.  I write, take a break, write an e-mail or two, then spend another three hours writing, then I do the housework.   You do get time and there are more hours in the day than you realise.  BUT I have a lot of time on my hands, no kids to worry about any more, no grandchildren and a husband who works all day. I have time to write on MWC.

I feel sorry for those people who have to work full time and really want to spend time writing.  They usually manage it, but it is important to set some time each day apart for writing and as Wolfe says, writing must come first above social networking.

I think it's just a case of organising yourself and working smart. I had an idea for a new book and knew when I should start to write it. I started in September with serious writing and have just about finished the whole story.  It's just a case of timing it all with the time of year and holiday periods.

Keeeep writing!

Lin

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:00:05 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline protekme

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »
Sounds pretty scary to me, mixing with strangers and actually having to open your mouth. I know I'd be a stuttering wreck. :'(

Thanks Wolfe, like all things, I thought the finished product was the important thing, but I see so much self promotion going on I really wonder if this is going to scupper any chances I may have because I'm not good at mixing.

How nice it would be to sell books (online or from the shelves) and not have to face all the promotion around it.

My friends and acquaintances don't understand this aversion of mine for Twitter, Face book, Blog, etc. because I'm a talking machine with them.

Let's join forces, Ma. May be we could double up on a tour some day.  ;D
-- People are usually more convinced by reasons they discovered themselves than by those found by others 
-- I have made this letter longer than usual only because I had no time to make it shorter
              Blaise Pascal

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »
Let's join forces, Ma. May be we could double up on a tour some day.  ;D

You'd probably end up talking to each other and not the audience.  I've seen this happen when authors share a billing.  Sometimes it works really well, like a couple acting up a bit in public in order to be deliberately overheard by an obviously interested listener.  Other times it's just a sickening and non-productive love-in ;-(

If it sparks reactions and recollections like the 'conversations' on here it can work well.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:19:40 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline bri h

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 04:26:09 PM »
Robert Harris, Gyp?
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline midnight candle

• just checking in
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 06:38:29 PM »
Thomas Harris Gyppo

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Cheers, Brian and Midnight.  I know why I hesitated now ;-)

Robert Harris wrote Pompeii.  (An excellent book by the way, and far more captivating than the blurb alone might lead you to believe.)

Thomas Harris created 'Hannibal.'

Then there was John Harris, who wrote The Mercenaries, a flying story set between the two World Wars.  (Another one worth looking at.)

And I think that is enough of a diversion from Ma's thread here.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:48:02 PM by Gyppo »

Offline bri h

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »
Cheers, Brian and Midnight.  I know why I hesitated now ;-)

Robert Harris wrote Pompeii.  (An excellent book by the way, and far more captivating than the blurb might lead you to believe.

Thomas Harris created 'Hannibal.'

Anita Harris was on Junior Showtime. A relation maybe? I'd love her to be invited to dinner with Hannibal.  ;D
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline G. London

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »
There is no doubt we are in the apex of social media. There is also no doubt about its power in the business world. It can't be ignored. Social media has the power to viraly spread a creative work that is truly great, or widely false-positive propagandize a work that is not. 

I think every aspiring young aspiring writer in college right now (And most everyone under 30) is fluent in social media, and understands the impact it can have on a career. Any career.

From a purely business point of view it can't be overlooked, no matter who does the grunt work.

If your not at the level to hire an assistant, you may try posting an ad at a local university for IT students. Many times IT students will work for cash per hour on a project basis.

Of course great compelling writing is always first and foremost.

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »
Many times IT students will work for cash per hour on a project basis.

However they are limited with marketing, business, advertising skills. I have hired them before and they are great at doing what you tell them or what you want. Need to keep a rein on them though.  ;)