Author Topic: Self publishing choices - who knows?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline ritawriting

Self publishing choices - who knows?
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:24:14 PM »
I am preparing to self publish in February and am caught in the dilemma of too much, or perhaps not enough, information about which platform to use for print on demand. The toss up is between create space and lightening source so far.
My book is non fiction. I'm writing about my work as a psychologist and the approach/model I've developed over the past 10 years. It has full colour diagrams throughout the book, which is ??? called i-brainmap - freeing your brain for happiness.
Does anyone have any insights or personal experience of these options and why they chose what you did for self publishing?
thanks Rita  ???

LucyLastic

Re: Self publishing choices - who knows?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 02:37:33 AM »
My "insight" comes from someone who decided on createspace. It's totally free and apparently fairly easy to do. It seems the only cost involved is buying proof copies, but it is possible to preview on line without having to do that. And any necessary adjustments can also be done on line. Once the book is ready to go, it becomes available on Amazon. Job done.

As I understand it - and I may be wrong - lightning source charge a set up fee. And in order to offer the book for sale, Amazon needs stock copies to be sent to them. That, of course, involves the cost to the author of buying and posting copies.

On the other hand, if your objective is to buy hard copy to self-distribute, lightning could work out cheaper in the long run. I guess you need to find out what copies would cost from lightning as opposed to buying with author discount from Amazon.

Hope that helps. Good luck

Offline ritawriting

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 04:19:06 AM »
Thanks LucyLastic some good thoughts to ponder in my decision making.   :)

Offline LRSuda

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:42:25 AM »
I have a problem with self-publishing. Yes, your work is instantly available on Amazon, as well as other sites. But, it becomes available at the same time thousands of others do. So, unless you are very good at the business and publicity side of things, and have a recognizable name, I would suggest going the traditional route. It may take longer and you'll likely receive more rejections than you want, but once a standard publishing house accepts your work they want to make money so they take care of getting the book into stores. Maybe try researching publishing houses and agents who accept your type of work. IMO it's well worth the effort.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »
I agree you should try the traditional route first. Unless you're a marketing expert you won't sell more than a dozen or so if you self-publish. However if you have decided you want to do it yourself then go with either lulu.com or createspace. I used both a few years ago and slightly preferred lulu.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline ritawriting

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 06:56:26 PM »
thanks for all your advice my friends. All gives me food for thought
R ::)