Author Topic: Am I the only one...  (Read 7218 times)

Offline G. London

Re: Am I the only one...
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
Better yet, read debut novels published within the last ten years. Choose ones that won awards and launched careers.

They're your competition in the business.

That is sound, sharp advice, Wolfe.

I'm looking forward to getting past 50 posts so I can edit mistakes that creep in when posting on web forums.

Offline bri h

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »
Hey G. Go to The Bar, or Limericks, or Last Person to Post, threads and within an hour you'll probably be well past 50. Bri.
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Lin

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 11:47:27 AM »
Well most of us have an accent, but in writing I try to put myself into the role of the character and what she or he might say and keep me out of the story altogether. Does this mean to say you always write in your own voice?  I thought when you write a story you have to write it in the voice of the character.  Do they all speak, Scottish, or whatever?

Okay I'm not perfect and I also have the occasional awkwardness, most of us do, but it's recognising what is me and what is  voice of the character. especially when writing in first person.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:49:07 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
Writing in character is easier for some than others.  But it's worth working on.

Some writers see themselves more as puppet masters, working the strings to make their characters dance to their tune.  I suspect this is because they fear the close involvement with their characters the 'role players' enjoy and occasionally suffer.  Pulling strings keeps them at a safe distance.

Gyppo 
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Dribbler Scribbler

• Oh well! It's only a hobby!
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »
If your writing reads awkwardly, it's probably because there's an issue with your writing. If you write with your accent proficiently, readers will hear your voice and that's what we all want our audience to do.

One of my biggest influences is Irvine Welsh, who writes his dialogue in a thick Edinburgh dialect. I know published authors who refuse to read Irvine Welsh because they feel the decision to hear an accent in writing should be the choice of the reader. I personally think that's the biggest load of bilge I've heard in my life. Welsh sells many more books than these other published authors because his style works with his audience and there's the key to it for me.

Using an accent requires a distinct style and a certain amount of ability that many writers struggle to cope with, myself included. I'm sure Welsh knows that there are readers out there who refuse to entertain his work because of the way he uses dialogue. He doesn't seem to mind too much because the audience that does buy his books revels in those accents. That's why it makes more sense to write for those who will buy your work instead of changing your style to accommodate those who never have and probably never will.

Offline bri h

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »
I agree with Ma.

Sorry for the slight segue. Has Island Mover left the site?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »
It looks as if she's gone back to guest status.  This could mean she has left, or just that she's taking a voluntary break.  It happens sometimes.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »
In order to have "guest" status, you have to have deleted your account??

Offline bri h

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »
Such  shame. She was good fun.

Lin

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 05:55:27 AM »
I think it's good to get a flavour of the character's personality through dialogue, as long as it is done in a subtle way. You don't have to go all out like Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby and speak in pidgin english. http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ug97/remus/tar-baby.html (although I loved that story)

Just a flavour will do and in a way to remind the reader who this person is.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 05:57:29 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline 2par

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2014, 11:17:50 AM »
I was wondering about Island Mover too.

Offline Nimyth

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »
I mean I know that when someone says to me "This is a run-on" or "This doesn't flow right" that it's more likely than not to be true.
I especially struggle with this in my dialogue. I want my character to 'sound' and 'feel' a certain way.  And yes where you live has an impact on how you speak. Which for writers also means how you write.  I am the crowned queen of the run on sentence, and a lot of that has to do with where I spent the majority of my life.  Education-portal has a lot a good, free courses on grammar,  writing and word choice. Knowing what the different bits and pieces are called, and learning about the common mistakes has been helpful.It did not change the way I write, but I feel it improved my ability to clean up my own ms. Also when you know the rules you can figure out where you can push that 'envelope' just a bit ;)