Author Topic: Am I the only one...  (Read 7276 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: Am I the only one...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »
Hear, hear. ;)

Offline bri h

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Wolfe

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 03:38:31 AM »
Who stubbornly refusing to accept that certain sentences sound awkward when pointed out?

A few books have read, especially this one particular biography of a teacher, but I still slip and I find myself arguing with my dear and loving beta (a friend) over these things until she shoves the 'rule book' in my face.

Repeat after me: The readers are right. And they'll always be right if you want them to continue reading. You can argue and explain your reasoning to a friend or beta reader, which I don't recommend, but you definitely can't argue and explain your reasoning to readers who bought your book.

You don't get the chance if your writing reads awkward or confusing. If you want mainstream publication, you better stop refusing to accept suggestions super quick. AWK is something editors are quick to point out and expect you to fix. And it's sound. If a reader says it reads clumsy, it does.

Remember, agents and editors have a million other authors ready to make suggested changes. And they'll be more than eager to take your place. No questions asked.

Believe that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:47:28 AM by Wolfe »

Lin

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 04:52:54 AM »
Well as I am from Yorkshire, I have certain colloquilsms that I inadvertently use in my novels.  It takes my editor to point them out to me!  

Lin  :D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 05:50:09 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Jo Bannister

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
I have no problem with colloquialisms, or accents, as long as - AND THIS IS IMPORTANT - they don't get in the way of telling the story.  If you can only be understood by people from your own part of the world, as a writer you have a major problem.  Work on conveying an accent/sense of place without alienating all your other readers by sending them to a translator.

And can we all make a New Year's resolution that we will read our posts BEFORE we post them, and correct any errors of spelling or grammar that are not a deliberate part of the piece?  If we can't get a 50-word post error-free, what chance have we of writing an 80,000 word novel that's fit for publication?

Offline bri h

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »
Eyed luv tuh cee thart wun passed beye thuh mords Joe. ha ha

No really, I would love to see this passed by the mods.
I think it should be 'stickied.' HNY. B

Offline protekme

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »

And can we all make a New Year's resolution that we will read our posts BEFORE we post them, and correct any errors of spelling or grammar that are not a deliberate part of the piece?  If we can't get a 50-word post error-free, what chance have we of writing an 80,000 word novel that's fit for publication?

It's about time someone brings this up. You are absolutely right.
-- People are usually more convinced by reasons they discovered themselves than by those found by others 
-- I have made this letter longer than usual only because I had no time to make it shorter
              Blaise Pascal

Offline 2par

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »
Jo, I totally agree. Once in awhile, something gets by my eye and I'm sure that happens to all of us. A rare one can be forgiven.  But it really annoys me when I see bad grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Wolfe

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 06:57:37 PM »

I'll try. ;)

Jo Bannister

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 09:30:34 AM »
I think that constitutes a quorum.  Thanks for the support, guys.

And Brian - I'm from just across the Lancashire/Yorkshire border.  And when you go into dialect, even I don't know what you're talking about!  Anyone south of Watford Gap must think you're speaking Klingon.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »
For Brian:  Here's why it's hear and not here.  You're not the only one who doesn't get this right on-line ;-)

"Hear, hear."  Because you're commenting on something which you've heard Don say.  (Even if, technically, you've read it.  'Read, read' just doesn't work, does it?)  Effectively you are saying "I hear you."

"Here, here." More appropriate for commanding a dog or some minion.  Probably accompanied by a beckoning finger or similar gesture.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:02:20 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline bri h

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 02:22:33 PM »
Ahh. I see. Cheers Gyp.

Jo, I DID put a Rosetta Stone underneath for you. ha ha. B

Jo Bannister

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »
Apparently, "Hear, hear" was originally "Hear him, hear him" - a way for listeners to express their approval of what was being said.

Yes, Brian, thank you for the translation.  My grandfather used to speak - as a party-trick, not in everyday conversation - the old Lancashire dialect, as spoken by the Pendle witches etc.  I couldn't begin to reproduce it, except that he would rhyme "schedule" with "pedal"!

Offline MansuEdwards

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »
Read books with crisp writing and surround yourself with people who speak the way you want to write.

Wolfe

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
Better yet, read debut novels published within the last ten years. Choose ones that won awards and launched careers.

They're your competition in the business.