Author Topic: Am I the only one...  (Read 7274 times)

Offline Niav.Corky

• We are the Good People
Am I the only one...
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »
Who stubbornly refusing to accept that certain sentences sound awkward when pointed out? lol

I mean I know that when someone says to me "This is a run-on" or "This doesn't flow right" that it's more likely than not to be true. BUT it is so hard for me to because I think it's the way I talk. I'm from Ireland, raised in Scotland, and we rarely thought about being grammatically correct when we spoke. Does any one know of any good ways to get out the bad grammar habit?

A few books have read, especially this one particular biography of a teacher, but I still slip and I find myself arguing with my dear and loving beta (a friend) over these things until she shoves the 'rule book' in my face.  :P
“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
Re: Am I the only one...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »
Why not post a sample? ;)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Get used to wearing an editor's hat and reading it as if it isn't your own work. ;)

Offline Niav.Corky

• We are the Good People
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 01:01:38 PM »

I will :)

;D ;D ;D ;D Get used to wearing an editor's hat and reading it as if it isn't your own work. ;)

Oh but isn't that the hardest part. Lol

I am certainly that person who takes everything personally - though I never show it! That's why I joined a forum like this, to get me out of bad habits.
“If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »
Believe me, I've got loads of them, writing ones as well.  ::) ;D

Offline Niav.Corky

• We are the Good People
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »
haha Who doesn't have any bad habits?

I am so used to writing by myself and not sharing it that it's a little weird to let other people look at my writing. Its very personal don't you think?

Blame for most of my bad habits has to go to texting, social media, etc. I'm pretty sure I have never used a comma on facebook.
― Toni Morrison

Offline Niav.Corky

• We are the Good People
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »
I just also remembered that my biggest critique is "flowery language".

:(

I like flowers.

― Toni Morrison

Island Mover

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »

I agree with Ma.

Offline Niav.Corky

• We are the Good People
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »
I will!

My excuse for the immediate moment is that I'm not home tonight, but also I'm a little gun shy   :-\
― Toni Morrison

Offline 2par

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
Well, your very first post here is a fine example of writing that needs some tweaks.
And I don't like guns.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
Kissing the Blarney Stone doesn't necessarily make you a bad writer. Show us what you've got and let your peers be the judges.

H3K

Offline bri h

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »
Come on now, you've seen ours. Let's see yours. ha ha. B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Pale Writer

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 05:33:25 PM »
Good ways to get out of practicing bad grammar? - Always be aware of your writing(this starts the day you decide to be one) This includes comments and such, and it is not only because of their presentation and representation of yourself, but also because bad habits should not be practiced.

As for arguing over wording, well, when you write for yourself, argue all you want, but when you write for others' consider their opinions.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:12:32 PM by Pale Writer »

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »
Am I the only one...

In a word, yes.

No, I'm not being facetious. You literally are the only one who can choose to edit or otherwise modify what you have written.

Your beta-readers can point out any number of things and some may actually have validity. Those you can change. Other things they may have simply misunderstood. You have to look to see if you were being clear enough.

Dialogue and narrative are different. You can have a sentence fragment in dialogue. People don't always speak in complete sentences. Inhabit your characters and speak as they would.

It comes down to being your story told your way. Can you learn a lot here? Hell, yes. So go ahead and post something. MWC is like the armory of storytelling. This is where we come to hone our craft.

Don -
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline bri h

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
Never know how to spell this so . . . 'here here' Don. Or, 'hear hear.' Well said Don. B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx