Author Topic: General chat.  (Read 23495 times)

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
Re: General chat.
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
I see the comment from Lin that her publisher is always looking for new authors. Of course all of us writers are looking for publishers. So like a dating agency we should match up!
However, I have a little problem. Honestly, it's not that difficult grabbing the attention of a small press publisher. I have three of them publishing novels of mine. I'm not knocking them. They work hard on formatting, handling POD printers, ebook bookstores etc. However, sales are only trickling. Now I have a new novel. It's just being critiqued and I love the characters and plot. Do I go with the small press publishers I'm already with? I think any of them would take it. Or do I try the mainstream publishers?
Help?

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 06:54:07 PM »
I don't know the rules and regulations about approaching another publisher Geoff, so my thoughts are pretty dicey to say the least. Don't take my word on this for anything. ;)

If you feel you have a good book, why not approach mainstream publishers. The worst they can say is no.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
With your track record and accolades you'd present a good CV to a mainstream publisher -- why not try? :-[

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »
I say go for it, Geoff.  Unless you're under contract elsewhere.  If the mainstream aren't interested you still have a fall-back position.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 01:55:07 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Lin

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
I am writing my next novel The Tanglewood Affair.  It is with the Beta reader now to search for anomalies I might have missed.  Then I shall send it to my personal editor and then I hope to submit for publishing. 

:D :D :D

Jo Bannister

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 06:16:44 AM »
Can I just thank Skip and Siobhan for organising my entry?  The things I don't know how to do!  Mind you, ten years ago I was still writing longhand in notebooks with a fountain pen!  I'm catching up a little every year; only trouble is, every year the technology moves on as well!

So thanks a lot, guys - I couldn't have done it without you.

Lin

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 06:42:46 AM »
Going back to Geoff's comment above, as long as you aren't tied in to one publisher for five years according to terms the contract, then you can submit to whoever you choose. My next book is up for grabs with any publisher that will take it.  

Lin  :)

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
 ;D ;D

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »
I don't know. I have three publishers currently and it is unsettling. Of course I only make pocket money from them - enough for a holiday one year, a new computer the next. I read Robert Graves biography recently and he was constantly changing publishers, agents, muses - so if it was good enough for him...

Jo Bannister

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2014, 04:41:26 AM »
Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs - as my (Lancastrian) grandfather used to say.  People are actually buying e-book editions from my backlist.  Just shows how much I know - I thought it would always be a sideline for the ordinary midlist writer.  But a wholly unexpected royalty cheque shows otherwise.  One of the books had been out of print for maybe ten years, now it's earning again.  Not massive money, but between them these forgotten books are buying me a decent holiday this year. 

Will you remind me next time I hold forth on new-fangled notions that'll be yesterday's news by Christmas?  I'm always wrong.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2014, 04:45:34 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Good on you Jo, glad something came out of it. ;D

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2014, 07:50:51 AM »
Well done, Jo.
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline geoffnelder

• Geoff's website
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2014, 08:04:22 AM »
Was that a great surprise, Jo, some promo, or a secret admirer? :)

Whichever, well done, you deserve every penny.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
Bless you, Geoff!  Well, it was a great surprise to me.  E-books and print-on-demand were part of a recent deal, but I never expected more than dribs-and-drabs.  I don't think I've got any secret admirers.  If I have, will they please make themselves known at once!

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2014, 11:58:43 AM »
Me! Me! Me!

Oops -- guess that doesn't qualify as 'secret'. :-[