Author Topic: Skip Slocum / Fantasy Adventure  (Read 18439 times)

Offline LRSuda

Re: Skip Slocum / Fantasy Adventure
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 04:48:17 PM »
I received a copy, too, three days after he died. I couldn't open the package for days but then I did. I got as far as the first paragraph. As you say, in a way it's comforting to read, but...

Offline Biola

• Creation swings on the axis of LOVE
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 05:14:35 AM »
I get the odd feeling that Skip is pretty surprised and touched by the response his passing has generated. You don't get to read his rich belly laugh,,nor be brought to tears by his uncanny ability to make you smile
we learn every day if we want. check my blog http://biola-ephesus-ephesus.blogspot.com, Ephesus@Wordpress.com
buy my books, BLOOD CONTRACT,NUMEN YEYE at amazon.com

Offline irallan

• "G'day from WA"
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
so sorry to hear of Skips passing...i never knew...he made me feel so welcome...and was never above any of us...even humoring me on my critiques of his works accepting my naive criticisms with great tolerance...will definitely be buying his book...god bless you Skip...
"You can take the boy out of the country...."

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 06:06:16 AM »
Thank you, Nick and Ma, for relaxing the rules a bit to let us read Biola's interview with Skip.

Thank you for the interview Biola, and for sharing it with us.

I remember when Skip posted the announcement looking for members interested in joining a writing group to exchange pages for suggestions and critiques to help each other grow as writers. It's a great idea. I wanted in but the group was filled. It needed to be a manageable, small sized group. I think it was four or five. Skip told me he'd let me know when a spot came available but as far as I know, the group held fast for the most part, and I think we are seeing the rewards of that collaboration of group feedback and page swaps.

The accountability to keep moving forward so that the reading exchange did not stagnate was the draw for me. I wonder if this group has managed to continue working together through the years. I suspect that this may have helped Skip move forward with his book and I'm curious as to how far it took the rest of you in that circle. I'm not sure anymore who was in the group. I seem to recall, LRSuda and maybe Ma but I'm not certain. Anyway, I'd love to hear how that all transpired or evolved, or if it fizzled out, how that was handled.

Sorry, it's not intended to hijack this thread but the writer's exchange was something that Skip started and I wonder how far the collaboration carried everyone else in the group. Perhaps another thread could be started for a discussion.

Again, thanks to Nick, Ma, Biola, and of course, Skip.

~Deb
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Biola

• Creation swings on the axis of LOVE
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »
Hello DGSquared,
Thought I should fill you in about the reading group Skip started. Yes there was quite a lot of benefits to be experienced about that group. We started out as five thinking being small and compact we would be able to quickly read each others pages and critique. We however gradually dropped to just three. Me, LRSUDA (Lisa) and Skip. Liz dropped out can't recollect now what was the reason and Max was in school then. It is a very beautiful idea which we maintained for as long as Skip was with us. We became quite close as we chatted, teased and helped each other with our stories. Skip helped me with ideas about covers and critiqued as well. It is why his passing knocked me for six. I hope somehow that idea will grow as I found the fact that I could receive honest advice and support from these two friends I met here made me an author and I learnt a great deal too. Thanks for asking.
biola
we learn every day if we want. check my blog http://biola-ephesus-ephesus.blogspot.com, Ephesus@Wordpress.com
buy my books, BLOOD CONTRACT,NUMEN YEYE at amazon.com

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 10:29:14 PM »
Thanks for replying Biola. Glad it worked out.

There's more (naturally) but I'm in a rush to get out the door.

I'll be back.   Soon. Really.
~Deb
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Combedslow

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »
To all concerned and listed,
I am seriously sorry to hear about Skip's passing. The last time I was on this forum, before my account got lost, he and I had talked about the possibility of my husband and he being related. He assured that we most likely were not. I was going to tell him hello again and say that I hoped all was well with him. My absence marked more time than I was able to attend, and as such I have missed this sad event. Again, I am sorry and I hope his family finds great solace in their time of sorrow.
May God bless his souls and care for him always.
I will keep my eyes open for this book. I'm sure it will be a great read.

Offline herron

• There's no burden heavier than a great potential.
    • Broken Glass
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
I've been woefully absent from the board for months now, so this is the first I've heard of Skip's passing. It's hit me like the loss of a good friend. I never actually met him...our experieces were virtual, thanks to the Circle...but I feel the loss of his passing.

My belated thanks to Biola for the interview, and prayers to his family.  :'(
web: Broken Glass
blog: Painting With Light
media: RLH Media
The Book of Face: R. Herron, Author
Tweets: @ronherron