Author Topic: How Do You Say It?  (Read 49907 times)

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
Re: How Do You Say It?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 05:43:53 AM »
If its a phone called, you say Gyppo called and if he visits, he called round.  ;)

Ok so what's a sock hop? That's mega weird I thought.  :D

'bumming a fag'.

Yup, that's been dropped over here too mate. But sometimes standing around at dream time at the station ( talking bull dust etc ) someone will say that.

If you bot a fag that was borrow a ciggie, I remember that from days of old.  :P
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline 2par

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 05:54:39 AM »
a sock hop = a dance for teens. old saying from the 40s and 50s. It could also be a retro dance. Kids used to wear loafers and socks.

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:50 AM »
It was in old TV shows I first heard that one.

I found out biscuits are like our scones. They sounded so yummy as a kid cause I have a sweet tooth, then found out they aren't sweet.  :D

Grits and green tomatoes sound weird, not something I would like to try.  :P

Offline 2par

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
I've never had fried green tomatoes, but people say they're good.

I love grits.

JewelAS53

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 06:26:32 AM »
I fried my own green tomatoes to try - they are yummy - sans the bits of people  :P

I have no idea what grits is/are.
I think it might be similar to what we call 'krummel pap' which is maize  porridge cooked so dry it's as close to couscous as you can get it, i.e. each grain is separate.

We eat krummel pap with a tomato and onion based sauce at a braaivleis, which is the rest of the world's bbq

Mielie Pap - maize porridge - can be 'slap' (runny), 'styf' (More or less thick and stiff like oats) or 'Krummel'

These are all Afrikaans words that the whole nation has adopted, so although I am very English I will have a braai, and may or may not serve stywe or krummel pap at the do, depending on who's coming :)

Offline 2par

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 06:43:51 AM »
Grits are made from corn meal, much like oatmeal is made from oats.  You can eat grits with salt and butter (my fave, and they shouldn't be runny nor too thick/dry)  or you can get them cold and slice them then fry in bacon grease.

Offline 2par

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 06:45:04 AM »
How do you make that onion and tomato based sauce?

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 06:47:37 AM »
Here's another one that I just learned recently:
-   "moot" in the US means "irrelevant"
-   "moot" in the UK means "undecided" or "a point of debate"

Or, another one that I learned very early on:
-   "quite" in the US means "very". "He's quite nice" means "He's very nice".
-   "quite" in the UK can mean anything from "not much" to "a fair amount", depending on the inflection you put on the word. So, for example, if you say, "He's quite nice", it means you have some serious reservations about the chap, and he's just about okay, but you don't really like him much and actually he's probably a total pain in the arse. Whereas if you say, "He's quite nice" with no particular inflection, it means that you have no strong feelings about him either way.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:51:44 AM by Amie »
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline 2par

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »
 ..."bits of people"???

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 06:50:20 AM »
Like in "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe"

Only it was their ribs, not their tomatoes :)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline 2par

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 06:53:14 AM »
Amie, now that's really interesting about 'quite'. I didn't realize there was such a difference.

Offline 2par

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 06:55:05 AM »
Wait - I'm not understanding that 'ribs...tomatoes' stuff.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 06:58:09 AM »
Yeah - a British colleague went for an interview in the US, and he was gutted when he got a letter saying, "We were quite impressed with you and your work, and will be in touch to arrange a second interview". He thought they meant, "We thought you were a so-so candidate, and might get in touch to give you a second chance if no one better is available". He was highly suspicious when I told him that it meant they were very impressed with him (he didn't want to have to traipse all the way out to California for an interview with people who thought he was so-so), but i ultimately persuaded him and he got the job and a really nice package.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:00:17 AM by Amie »

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 06:59:35 AM »
Wait - I'm not understanding that 'ribs...tomatoes' stuff.

Have you seen or read "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe"? I don't want to give away the plot if you haven't.... (but, you could always wiki it I guess)

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 07:05:23 AM »
Quite means the same as USA here mate
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:09:24 AM by fire-fly »