Author Topic: How Do You Say It?  (Read 50229 times)

Offline bri h

Re: How Do You Say It?
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
Gawd, no one understands them Amie, that's a whole different world over there  ::) ::)

Soots will come on and boot my butt that's a given.  :P :P

There are so many pet names for the old wanger isn't here. I think that's a global thing too.

We have toilet paper, not toilet tissue. Tissues here are paper boxed hankies or handkerchief's.

We don't have forests, we have National Parks or the bush.

So now that the male genitalia euphemisms are done we get on to the woman's 'Lady-Garden?' I see.  ;D
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline bri h

« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »
I've lived in the UK for about 25 years - in a wide range of geographic locations, from Glasgow to Bristol - and do not commonly hear the word "chopper" to mean a part of the male anatomy. If you said it in context, people would know what you meant, but only in the sense that practically  any word can mean penis (assuming that was the part of the male anatomy Dot and partner meant) in the UK. If I said, "He was standing on the street corner with his wigwams hanging out", people would assume I meant testicles, but it's not a commonly used expression. I wouldn't be surprised if I had heard the word chopper to mean penis, but I can't actually recall an occasion... Most people I know would say "willy" (mums, and women particularly), whereas men might use anything from willy, to John Thomas, to more robust terms. I cannot think of anyone I know who would hear the word "chopper" in that context and automatically think penis. I suspect Dot and partner had some kind of pre-occupation with willies :)

WARNING. Crude language alert!

Written on a shipyard toilet wall, nearly 20 yrs ago. "I'm gonna go home and give my wife 'what for,' (euphemism for sex) with my purple-headed-punisher." And they said romance was dead.  ;D
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline 2par

« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »
My mother always threatened with, "I'll give you what for...". It means a punishment of some sort.

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2013, 11:51:57 PM »
 :D :D

So did mine mate. And the old dragon usually did too.  :o

We are one of those countries that went from pounds, shillings and pence etc to dollars and cents and imperial measurement to metric.

A few quid in the old money was a few pounds. The Pom's will chime in here, I have forgotten a lot of them.

Two bob piece was two shillings?

A tenner was ten pound, a fiver was five pound etc.

If you have a few grand that's a few thousand dollars.

A zac was sixpence

If you were broke, ( no money ) you didn't have a brass razoo  :D
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

JewelAS53

« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2013, 06:58:50 AM »
We have forests (lots of trees),
national parks (animals and plantlife protected) and
bush (unspoiled swathes of ground - could be in a national park or across the road from where one lives).

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »
There is no bush in England (brianh, that one is far too easy, so wait for a more challenging opportunity ;) )

Parks, gardens, forests, but no outback or bush. Scrub I guess (could be any untended patch of land I think... I've even heard overgrown car parks in towns referred to as 'scrub'). Wilderness I think does not exist in England either (I mean, the word exists I'm sure, but I've never seen anything that I would consider wilderness. It's all very tended. It's a real shock seeing the difference between the UK from the air and the US - in the US, you can get miles and miles and miles of land that is just wild. In the UK, it's mostly boxes of green fields or urban areas from the sky...)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
:D :D

So did mine mate. And the old dragon usually did too.  :o

We are one of those countries that went from pounds, shillings and pence etc to dollars and cents and imperial measurement to metric.

A few quid in the old money was a few pounds. The Pom's will chime in here, I have forgotten a lot of them.

Two bob piece was two shillings?

A tenner was ten pound, a fiver was five pound etc.

If you have a few grand that's a few thousand dollars.

A zac was sixpence

If you were broke, ( no money ) you didn't have a brass razoo  :D

There's an old song I use to hear that had a line something like this.

"Two bits, four bits, eight bits a dollar."

Two bits = a quarter. I have no idea where or when the "bits" got started.

MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
we have dollars and cents.

fin or fiver or fivver is a $5 bill

a picture of Ben or just Ben is a $100 which as Benjamin Franklin on it.

a large or grand or k is $1000 so a house would be like 300 large or 300K  but usually it is smaller numbers so someone might pay 5 grand for a used car.

parks can be trees and flowers or they can have play equipment for kids and you just have to discern what is being talked about.

Bread can be money here, but bread is usually a loaf of something.

a biscuit

a muffin

a cupcake

a cookie tray

Alice, it was two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar. Each bit was a quarter and four of them is eight bits or a dollar.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

• Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2013, 11:04:45 AM »

Alice, it was two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar. Each bit was a quarter and four of them is eight bits or a dollar.

Right Patti, I knew (still know actually) that, just left out the 6 bits.  ;)

The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »
A word my Dad always used to use (he'd be 86 if he were still alive) was "pill" to mean someone acting like a spoiled brat. I never heard anyone but him and his sister use it. In England, about 20 years ago you'd frequently hear people being referred to as "pillocks" - but not so much today. I gather it meant something like "idiot"
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2013, 11:19:33 AM »
Mind you (this may be contentious and slightly off topic, but) I never hear anyone refer to a child as a spoiled brat these days. I don't know if it's because my friends are too middle class, or if it's just desperately un-PC to give child a negative label for something that some would say is the parents' fault...  I sometimes see child behaving in a way that would have earned the title "spoiled brat" when I was a child, but I never hear anyone use the term. "Challenging" might be the closest.... "used to getting his own way", "not good with sharing", but never "brat" :)

• Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »
I've heard "pill" used, referring to someone that's being difficult or hard to deal with, especially a child that refuses to listen or shape up and fly right.

I never hear anyone refer to a child as a spoiled brat these days.

Maybe that's another regional thing Amie . . . I hear it and have often said it myself. But not as often as in days past. Now I take my (inner) frustrations out on the parents that allow such behavior.

-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
Might also be a UK - US difference?

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
my parents called us pills when misbehaving.

and pips.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »
Spoiled brat is common here and so is the term feral for unruly kids or their parents.

Aussies tend to drop their g's a lot. Doin, not doing, goin, not going etc. A lot of the modern hip and happening dudes tend to not. But they are a lot softer these days I guess. Men seem to have lost their manliness and are a bit too urban for my liking.

Marijuana is referred to as dope or weed in most cases here, which I think is global.

Police are copper, cops or pigs, which once again, the latter is global.

Our paramedics are ambulance officers and drive an ambulance. We refer to them as ambos.

A good looking person is a spunk, hot, good sort, whereas an ugly or immoral one is usually a bush pig or a car chaser (dog), skank or skanky ho.

I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D