Author Topic: How Do You Say It?  (Read 50147 times)

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
How Do You Say It?
« on: November 20, 2013, 03:16:29 AM »
After a few comments today about understanding what someone from another country means, I thought it would be interesting to find out exactly how much we do vary from each other in everyday speech.

For example, we use a lot of pidgin English and rhyming slang over here and I guess its the norm but a lot of you dudes and dudettes have no idea what I am talking about. The Pom's have an inkling but most.......... ::)

Hit the frog and toad = hit the road  :P

If I am buying a soft drink over here, its referred to as maybe soda over in the US of A.

Chocolates are just that, anything candy is a hard boiled lolly which over seas, who knows what you call it.

Anyone else out there ever wondered?  :D

I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline 2par

Re: How Do You Say It?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 03:24:44 AM »
Sure. I always wonder about the differences. I can see the reasons for most of them, like frog and toad for road. Poor little things get hit all the time.

What's Pom's?

JewelAS53

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 03:48:49 AM »
Poms are English people - they turn red as a pomegranate in the sun :)

I did not know Oz uses rhyming slang... but come to think of Oz origins, perhaps not so strange after all, eh, China?

cold drinks are non alcoholic drinks in SA
Car = Vehicle, Automobile
Boot = USA Car Trunk
Handbag = USA Purse
Purse = USA Pocket Book - I think? I've never really come to grips with this one. It's a lady's wallet.
Robot = Traffic Light
Cell Phone = Mobile

I put myself into a USA or UK frame of mind when I enter the challenges to rid the work of all SA-isms ;)

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:03:55 AM »
Ah, robot is interesting. We are traffic lights and mobile phones not cells.

The rest, we are similar except cold drinks.

If we say, "She'll be jake mate," this means everything is ok.  ;)

Bucks or quid refers to dollars.

We go to the loo or the can, not the bathroom.

Do you know what it is to ride the porcelain bus?  8)

Offline 2par

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 04:18:25 AM »
Purse, pocketbook, wallet

In the U.S.:

a wallet is a wallet

In some states, it's a purse. In other states, it's a pocketbook. It's always a bag or handbag.

Bathroom can be called can or a rest room or powder room or lounge or a dozen other names.

Soda in NY and NJ and elsewhere. It's pop in Ohio and some other states. They both derive from sodapop.

Cold drinks and soft drinks are also non-alky.

I used to know what a porcelain bus was.  A toilet, commode?

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 04:38:04 AM »
 :D

To ride the porcelain bus meant you were sick and in the loo.

I remember watching shows as a kid and a lot were American. It sounds so magical as a child, to hear things like going to the soda fountain or flowers and candy.  :D

A drug store, what is that one exactly. Over here, we have chemists where we take a prescription from the doctor to get our medication. I always assumed that is what a drug store was.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:39:28 AM »
This is a great excuse for me to tell my favourite US-UK difference:

When I was a young girl (19) newly arrived in the UK, I went out to the pub with some friends and a boy asked me out on a date. I left him hanging and later asked my friends what they thought.

"which one is he?" they said.
"He's around the corner, wearing black pants and red suspenders" I said.

The UK people will understand the looks of horror they gave me.

pants (US) means underwear in UK
suspenders (US) means garter belt in the UK

So, what I wanted to say was "he's wearing black trousers and red braces" - not that I'd been asked out by a member of the Rocky Horror cast :)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline fire-fly

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 04:42:10 AM »
 :D :D

That's hilarious!!

It would be 50/50 here. Trousers and pants are the same here but teamed with red suspenders, it would be confusing.  ::)

Offline 2par

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46:50 AM »
Amie, that's really funny. I'll have to remember that.

Offline 2par

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:26 AM »
Oh, and chocolates are included in candy. Candy is anything wholly non-nutritious and meant as a snack, haha.
Lollipops can also be called suckers, and are also candy.
Candies are sweet, thus can mean a girl.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:53:58 AM by 2par »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 05:03:53 AM »
A drug store, what is that one exactly. Over here, we have chemists where we take a prescription from the doctor to get our medication. I always assumed that is what a drug store was.

To my generation a chemist is still a chemist, where you take prescriptions from the doctor or buy cough medicine and condoms.  It may say 'pharmacist' over the door but we think this is a scam dreamed up by signwriters to make a few extra bob.  Our local chemist has changed hands several times but still has the original 60s sign.

Drug store always sounds dodgy to me, like a secret stash in a shed somewhere, where people hand over cash payments to a shady looking geezer with dark glasses and a nervous twitch.

But very rarely these days does anyone describe scrounging a cigarette as 'bumming a fag'.  That's one old phrase which has fallen by the wayside.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:54:06 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 2par

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:02 AM »
Over here, a pharmacist works at a drug store, which sells anything and everything. You can even get flu shots at a drug store.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:17:20 AM »
When I first came to the UK, "called" meant "came for a visit" (similar to obsolete Southern US usage)

It's not used as commonly now, because I think more people have phones now (that was a huge surprise to me as well when I first came over - the number of people who didn't have phones. Nowadays pretty much every one has a phone, but in the mid-80s, people would ask "are you on the phone?". I think everyone in the US had phones when I was a child in the 70s, so I thought it was kind of sweet in a way....)

Anyway, I recall getting a phone call (we had a payphone in the hall outside our flat, not an actual phone in the flat like a proper American would have had ;) ) for one of my flatmates and saying, "Aaron called"
She said, "Which Aaron?"
Me: "I don't know"
Her: "Well, what did he look like?"
Me: "How would I know?"
Her: "I thought you said he called?!"

(and so on)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:19:27 AM by Amie »
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline 2par

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 05:28:26 AM »
"Called" isn't obsolete in the south. People still call on each other (pay visits).

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 05:39:15 AM »
Gypsies still go' calling', working from door to door either selling wares from a basket (quite rare these days) or looking for work such as gardening.

We also have areas now designated as 'no cold calling' zones.  With signs on the lamposts to deter salespeople and hawkers.  These are for the benefit of wimpy folks  - who seem to be on the increase - who can't simply say no to a 'cold caller', but are frightened by strangers coming up their path and knocking the door.

In our house we still say 'so and so rang', or even 'phoned', when they've phoned, so the difference between that and a personal call is clear.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1