Author Topic: Leaving no way out!  (Read 7264 times)

Offline goldanon

Re: Leaving no way out!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 03:23:18 PM »
Aelfwin, I want to thank you for giving us the link to Zoetrope.  I submitted a story (same one i submitted here) in the hopes that someone would "heal" my opening paragraph - I only received one critique so far, but the reviewer immediately saw the trouble in that opening.  He gave me a suggestion for fixing it - I'm not sure his suggestion will work either, but I was impressed with his critique nonetheless... He was a bit rough, but I never mind that as long as it's being done on the grounds that they BELIEVE it will improve the piece - rightly or wrongly... 

I did notice from reading some threads there, that there's already a clique, but that can never be avoided in ANY group of human beings... I only hope that the 'serious' literati in there are far away from that part of the forum.  My guess would be that they are, as there are only so many hours in a day - I can't imagine them having the time to get tangled up in anything of that sort.

It really seems like a fabulous place for any aspiring wirter.  Especially as there are agents and editors looking at the stuff.  OH I'm so thankful to have a chance at getting my writing in front of them (keeping fingers crossed) without having to go through those horrible query letters and synopses.

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 04:07:36 PM »
Hi Goldanon, Your most welcome. I have subitted several works to Zoe and find the crits to be remarkably valuable. Those crits, along with the ones I get here and at Wwriters Online Workshops gives me a really good cross section of qualified readers to work from. True, some of them are a bit blunt, but those are the ones that usually help the most. I usually have to wait a day to get over being annoyed at someone having the nerve to criticize my pulitzer winning work, then I gleefully use their comments to make my work publishable. I haven't explored the site enough to have run into and cliques, but then I just post and review, I don't usually chat. It is nice to know that there are editors and agents dropping by to see whats up...  ;D  Aelf

Offline gub2000

• There's always nest year
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 04:16:47 PM »

goldanon, what is the name of your script. And what is your name on Zoe? I'd be more than happy to give it a read.

I've had 2 reviews so far. Harsh may not be the best way to describe it. It was more of running my script through a wood chipper.  :) That's all right. I need to toughen up my skin. It's not that any of it was wrong (well maybe a little bit  :) ). That is certainly a site where a new writer can learn a lot. It is a funny thing writing a script. You are writing something for a very limited audience. Think about it. No one reads the script of 'The Godfather'. They watch the movie.

gub2000
Don't ever ever give up - Winston Churchill

www.TheBestofYouTube.com - editor

Offline gub2000

• There's always nest year
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 04:21:16 PM »
I usually have to wait a day to get over being annoyed at someone having the nerve to criticize my Pulitzer winning work
LOL  :D

I'm with Aelf. I haven't spent enough time on the board in that site to notice any clique's.

gub2000
Don't ever ever give up - Winston Churchill

www.TheBestofYouTube.com - editor

Offline goldanon

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 11:03:19 PM »
Gub, I only mention the clique thing from some complaints I read in some threads going on in there - I haven't noticed anything either, bu then I just go to read and be read and critiqued... could just be a bunch of cranks too - every place has them... but the complaints sounded familiar - and every site always somehow attracts bunch of idiots that "troll" the place.  I imagine a wirter's forum with anxious writers putting their stuff up has to be a nice target for them too.  And it sounded from some of the complaints I read that they have a few cranky folk in there just waiting to pounce on us newbies. That's what it sounded like.  So far, I've only read and been read (or reviewed) by serious writers, so I'm not too worried.  Just thought I'd give a heads up...
I didn't submit a script, I submitted a story - which I'd be happy to have you read, but it is in the short story building...  With such limited time, I understand if you decide against doing it.  It's hard enough doing your own homework.
I'm in there under my real name which is francesca goldston, and the name of the story is dear hearts.
And Aelf - from what I've read in that site, the agents and publishers and producers dont' just stop by, they check out well-rated wrok and try to "find" new stuff.  That's really quite remarkable.  But the quality of some of the writing I've seen in there humbles me.  We have some STRONG competition!

Offline aelfwin

• The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 03:53:26 PM »
Hi Goldanon, Sorry if I threw a curve, that was just a figure of speech "editors and agents dropping by".  I'm going to read "Dear Hearts" in the next day or two. Will leave a crit. Glad your a member.  ;D Aelf

Offline goldanon

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 04:33:45 PM »
aelfwin, ley me know what your story is andname to look for so I can reciprocate...
Also, GUB - I wouldn't mind taking a look at  your script - but i'm not a script writer- i wrote one play in my life circa 1982 - I have read quite a few in my life having gone to a private ENGLISH (as opposed to American school - they made us read many many way too many plays)and I have a good ear, if you want a really objective read of your script (since it would be doen by a NON script-writer) but I dont' know if that would help you much...

Offline aelfwin

• The Aelf's Bloggery
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 05:20:49 PM »
Goldanon, Look me up as Gene Alvin. The story I have listed there is Savannah. ::) Aelf. I also have an earlier version listed here in review. It's a work in progress and the crits are really helping.

Watt-Evans' Law: "There is no idea so stupid or absurd that a sufficiently-talented writer can't base a decent story on it." --Lawrence Watt-Evans

Offline SheWritesRight

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 03:24:30 AM »
I am intrigued by this thread.  I shall look into it more.  Thanks everyone for a most interesting subject.   :-*
Whenever I'm doing something else, I know I should be writing.
Whenever I'm writing, I know there are other things I should be doing.

Offline alex

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 06:29:27 PM »
aelfwin,

thanks for the tip,it sounds hard work but definetly worth it, I'll check it out

x Alex :)