Author Topic: My poem advanced to semi-final round (Eber & Wein Publishing) Legit or scam?  (Read 59377 times)

Offline Chizzy

I agree with what's been said. These vanity presses, United Press is another, typically produce phonebook sized anthologies with pages as thin as those in the bible, with tiny fonts, and with as many poems crammed in as they possibly can manage, with uncorrected typos, all in the hope that enough authors and friends and family of the author will buy their substandard product to make it worthwhile. And clearly enough do buy it otherwise they wouldn't continue their conveyor belt, churning out anthology after anthology. Why anyone other than the desperate would want their name attached to such a thing is beyond me.

I think you also need to do some reading on copyright. Sending $35 to copyright your work really isn't a great use of your money. You own the copyright anyway. E & W or United or whomever own the copyright to the anthology but the copyright for the actual work is retained by the authors. Or at least that's how it should work. If anyone wants to you to give them the copyright of your work or make it a condition for its publication you should say thank you and then walk the other way. If I sell a short story and give up my copyright on it, that means if, for example, Steven Spielberg reads it and decides to make a movie out of it, I don't get a penny. What you should be prepared to give up or sell and what most magazines want is First Serial Rights which basically gives them exclusive right to be the first time publisher of that work. That's what you tend to be selling when someone buys your work for publication.
This is not an exit.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
Something I've seen first hand that made me sick about such Publishers, they hit schools here in the US also.

When my granddaughter was in her last year in high school,  she was so excited when she told me that some of her poetry was going to be published.

And I was happy for her of course. Until I saw the book for what it was. As a requirement for them placing her work in their book, she had to buy at least one copy and yes, they did offer a second copy at a discounted price. If memory serves, she paid around $80.00 for the first copy.

Don't get me wrong, I liked her poetry. She's my granddaughter and I love her. Now, I'm not a poet, nor do I understand all the ins and outs about the art form. But I'm reasonable sure that any legitimate publisher of poetry would not have agreed to publish her work without more work and refinement.

Research carefully, read every sentence carefully. If they ask or require money . . . Run.   
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Shannen Wrass

Ok... Hear me out on this copyright thing (I'm honestly not a professional writer. I'm just a paramedic who works in the ER, & a mom/wife, LOL)
Here's what happened to me:
When I was 15 years old (1995) I sent a poem I wrote called "The Perfect Friend" into "Teen Magazine." They published it & I got a free subscription. Very cool for a kid. Never heard another word, never thought about it again. 3 months ago, (almost 20 years later) My dad calls me: "OMG, google The perfect friend by Shannen Wrass, you're famous!" So there's my poem, on e-cards, in an English textbook, blogs, middle/high school kids doing reports on it, someone made it into a song on You Tube, ect. I'm thrilled! Now, here's the copyright concern: Some (not very many, but some) have taken credit for my poem. I'm not out to sue or go to court, I just want the name "Shannen Wrass" attached to every poem I've ever written. Even the e-cards & screensaver things that said "author unknown" irritated me. Because they're my words, my feelings and my pain, and I want to own that. "Shannen Wrass" is a part of me that I conquered. I won my fight with her & all she left me with are notebooks full of poems with that name.
I was only able to claim my work with Web Masters & DMCA because I had proof of publication with the publishing date June 1995. I have no proof of ownership on any of my other poems I'm putting out there now. I know I'll never make money doing this, but it's fun and I'm learning so much! Even editing my old work with the help of YOU guys! :)

I agree with what's been said. These vanity presses, United Press is another, typically produce phonebook sized anthologies with pages as thin as those in the bible, with tiny fonts, and with as many poems crammed in as they possibly can manage, with uncorrected typos, all in the hope that enough authors and friends and family of the author will buy their substandard product to make it worthwhile. And clearly enough do buy it otherwise they wouldn't continue their conveyor belt, churning out anthology after anthology. Why anyone other than the desperate would want their name attached to such a thing is beyond me.

I think you also need to do some reading on copyright. Sending $35 to copyright your work really isn't a great use of your money. You own the copyright anyway. E & W or United or whomever own the copyright to the anthology but the copyright for the actual work is retained by the authors. Or at least that's how it should work. If anyone wants to you to give them the copyright of your work or make it a condition for its publication you should say thank you and then walk the other way. If I sell a short story and give up my copyright on it, that means if, for example, Steven Spielberg reads it and decides to make a movie out of it, I don't get a penny. What you should be prepared to give up or sell and what most magazines want is First Serial Rights which basically gives them exclusive right to be the first time publisher of that work. That's what you tend to be selling when someone buys your work for publication.

Offline Shannen Wrass

PS: "Shannen Wrass" isn't even my name anymore, she only exists online. People on Yahoo Answers were looking for her... So I created her again :)

Offline SunshineX

• ktg
    • Katie Krypton Twitter
This is an interesting problem and I admit that I'm not entirely sure what to do.

I guess if it were me I would begin by listing everywhere the poem has been used. Then I would contact each publisher directly. Be sure to provide them with a link to the original publication. I would expect the publisher to correct it in an upcoming edition, particularly in the case of the textbook.

I think that in this case it was a good idea to get a copyright, though usually that would be unnecessary.

That's all I can offer. I'll be interested to read other people's response to this issue.

Lin

I hear that if it's on your computer and dated then it's yours.

Lin

Offline Chizzy

Ok... Hear me out on this copyright thing (I'm honestly not a professional writer. I'm just a paramedic who works in the ER, & a mom/wife, LOL)
Here's what happened to me:
When I was 15 years old (1995) I sent a poem I wrote called "The Perfect Friend" into "Teen Magazine." They published it & I got a free subscription. Very cool for a kid. Never heard another word, never thought about it again. 3 months ago, (almost 20 years later) My dad calls me: "OMG, google The perfect friend by Shannen Wrass, you're famous!" So there's my poem, on e-cards, in an English textbook, blogs, middle/high school kids doing reports on it, someone made it into a song on You Tube, ect. I'm thrilled! Now, here's the copyright concern: Some (not very many, but some) have taken credit for my poem. I'm not out to sue or go to court, I just want the name "Shannen Wrass" attached to every poem I've ever written. Even the e-cards & screensaver things that said "author unknown" irritated me. Because they're my words, my feelings and my pain, and I want to own that. "Shannen Wrass" is a part of me that I conquered. I won my fight with her & all she left me with are notebooks full of poems with that name.
I was only able to claim my work with Web Masters & DMCA because I had proof of publication with the publishing date June 1995. I have no proof of ownership on any of my other poems I'm putting out there now. I know I'll never make money doing this, but it's fun and I'm learning so much! Even editing my old work with the help of YOU guys!

If someone wants to steal your work, theyíre going to do it whether or not youíve paid $35 to have copyright or not. In this case, you can prove the work is yours because it was published in Teen Magazine.

Iím not aware of anyone doing this with anything Iíve ever written, but were they to do so, I have evidence of the date I wrote the piece from the Word doc, I probably have dated instances of my posting it on a forum like this for review, I have emails giving proof that I submitted the piece to any number of markets and, hopefully, I have an acceptance email and publication date with whichever market decided to publish it. My point is, I have a number of ways to prove that one of my stories or poems is indeed one of mine. I donít believe that puts me in a stronger or weaker position than you if someone decided they were going to plagiarize my work and I decided to chase them down about it. The only difference is, I still have my $35.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:33:44 PM by Chizzy »
This is not an exit.

Offline Shannen Wrass

Duly noted my friend :)

Offline Shannen Wrass

I'm really happy about anything that has my name still attached to it. Probably the coolest thing that's ever happened to me. The poem took on a life of it's own. The English text book & almost everything else had "Shannen Wrass" as the author. So I'm actually happy they did it, it was just the "author unknown" & bloggers claiming they wrote it that made me paranoid for the rest of my poems. Having that copyright made things real easy via email with webmasters. I think I contacted all of them with no problems & the DCMA shut down a bunch (I only used DMCA for the advertising companies) Made it real easy.

This is an interesting problem and I admit that I'm not entirely sure what to do.

I guess if it were me I would begin by listing everywhere the poem has been used. Then I would contact each publisher directly. Be sure to provide them with a link to the original publication. I would expect the publisher to correct it in an upcoming edition, particularly in the case of the textbook.

I think that in this case it was a good idea to get a copyright, though usually that would be unnecessary.

That's all I can offer. I'll be interested to read other people's response to this issue.

Offline SunshineX

• ktg
    • Katie Krypton Twitter
That's all so exciting!

I have no advice for you then. It sounds to me like you've got this under control!

Offline wiltseliz13

Should I trust this publishing company?

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
If you actually read and understood the previous comments you wouldn't be asking this question.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline WilliamJHussman

On Eber and Wein , i have contributed many poems ,they have sent me a proof copy before publishing, never promised me money, clearly shared with me in writing my work is my own , ISBN number and published my work with many many other authors in a an anthology compilation. Just like they said they would. The work is offered on amazon world wide, for sale.  Am i looking for fame and fortune as a poet ,short story writer. No. How many do you know?. I was offered to purchase many products from eber and wein ,but never had to purchase anything to get published. 

Offline Blinksuldhc

On Eber and Wein , i have contributed many poems ,they have sent me a proof copy before publishing, never promised me money, clearly shared with me in writing my work is my own , ISBN number and published my work with many many other authors in a an anthology compilation. Just like they said they would. The work is offered on amazon world wide, for sale.  Am i looking for fame and fortune as a poet ,short story writer. No. How many do you know?. I was offered to purchase many products from eber and wein ,but never had to purchase anything to get published. 

Either you're a shill working for them or you're just severely. . . off-base, to be polite.

Let me guess, you got an email that addresses you by your name, referred to your work by its ACTUAL title, AND it even had snippets or the whole work in the body of that email?

Am I close?

Did you also get sent a link to a "legit"-looking website that looks like a "real" publisher just trying to sell a sort of "collections" book of works by various authors...and the book was possibly and literally called "Collections"? (Doesn't get any lazier than that)

Did you also get mail from them with their fancy preprinted envelopes be letterhead with a letter that was essentially the email but cleaner, again referencing your work?

What you didn't read properly is the weasel language where they say they MIGHT print your work, and imply that it WOULD get printed if you ordered a $60 copy of their book and CD reading of the works.

Yeah, sure, it may have an ISBN, but so do self-published books. Also, HAVE YOU ACTUALLY SEEN YOUR QORK IN A BOOK OF THEIRS THAT DID NOT BELONG TO YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW?

Basically, you won't get "published" without paying. Nothing you said indicates you actually had your work printed. And even if they DID print your work, it's essentially filler and I can almost guarantee you that no one has or will read it, not even the "editor" of the company. The absolute best you can hope for is to be "filler" in someone's bathroom book, and a houseguest squatting on the toilet happens to flip open to your page and reads it....and then forgets about it before he even washes his hands.

I almost bought into them the first time.

Second time, I submitted the famous Dylan Thomas "Do not go gently into that good night" poem, word for word, and they didn't say anything other than what I mentioned above about it "possibly" being published. They either read it and 1) didn't have a damn clue they were reading one of the most famous American poems on history or 2) they didn't give a damn and chose to assist and abet me on a presumed literary crime, OR, more likely, they didn't read a damn thing.

I absolutely call BS on you being "published" by them without paying a dime, and even If you did, it's like bragging you got HIV from Charlie Sheen.

Offline WilliamJHussman

Thank you poetry devil , we all got it in the rear from eber and weins mighty pitchfork.  At the very least eber and wein promotes poetry ,in a very shrinking book market. For young children they get a small promotion and understanding how important the literary art of poetry is.  At the very most many unknown authors get something out there along with 600 to 1200 other would be ,and actual poets. Eber and Wein promises nothing but an entrance to publishing , isbn ,no. ,a small contest, In an industry that is changing so much and shrinking in some areas growing in others Eber and wein is trying to keep things afloat. I think the biggest thing that Eber and Wein shares with more mature "poets, and would be younger poets besides, promoting , some vanity, perhaps in others,is that you do not ever have to pay monies, for your own literary accomplishment.  Bill