Author Topic: My poem advanced to semi-final round (Eber & Wein Publishing) Legit or scam?  (Read 47461 times)

Offline Shannen Wrass

• View Profile
I received a letter from Eber & Wein Publishing (50 E High St. New Freedom PA). It states the poem I mailed in ("Time Out To Cry") has advanced to semi-final round of National Amateur Poetry Competition. I'm to fill out the "Official Contest Entry Form" & return it. Says it offers cash prizes.
Is this a legit company?
It states: "As a semi-finalist you've earned the opportunity to be published & we'd like to feature your poem in upcoming series "This Time Around."
It sounds like I've been published... I have very little knowledge about how this business works. Does anyone know their reputation?
I'm extremely excited, but I don't want to be a fool either :/
Thanks for your help

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Western Wood Artist
LAter, Bill
http://www.westernwoodartist.com
http://www.southwestwoodcrafts.com

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, Shannen. Everything I've seen indicates this is a vanity press.

Best to find out on the front end, right?
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
Whoops -- Eber & Wein don't look too good in that article/blog. ::)
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline Shannen Wrass

• View Profile
What's a "Vanity Press?" Would it hurt to mail in the form but not send any money? A few people on that blog responded that it was legit, and a few others claimed it was a scam. 

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Western Wood Artist
What's a "Vanity Press?"

You have to pay to get anything published.
LAter, Bill

Offline DJIsaac

• Endings leave a bitter taste.
    • View Profile
I have been a part of this scam before, tho it is not a scam per-say, I have been published in one just like it.

But mine was a photo album, and it was for one of my worst pictures. No way in hell it won.

Here is how the scam works, read for it.. Its you.

They really do publish your stuff, they get the rights, you get nothing, except a certificate saying you did it! Now here is where the scam really is, its not just that they now have the rights to your work, Its that it will never see a public bookshelf, of if it does it was through free advertising on their part, The book is usually a table book, so they can fit alot of peoples works into it.

Now who would want these the most. Ummm the people who have their stuff printed in it!!!!! omg look i got published, now your stuck shelling out a crap load of cash for something that you have a very small part in, Im lowballing at 35$ .. a 2010 issue is 70$ on amazon if you want a bunch of other peoples poems.

Really its not a big scam, just a tiny one, it helps give people dreams that they can do great things. And sometimes these are great works that otherwise you wouldn't have seen because they are from everyday people. But they make money, off of you. They do no writing, or pictures as in my case. they send the info to a printer and get paid mostly off the writers/artists themselves, and they're word of mouth, Its a pyramid scheme.

Sorry, but hey, you can always do it if you didnt really want that thing they published anyways. and if you want, they sometimes do make nice coffee table books.. I refused to do it, but that was me, and like I said it was a really really shitty picture they got off panaramio or whatever picture search

Let me see if I can find it....

Ahh there we go .. http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=0&with_photo_id=14746014&order=date_desc&user=2324084
is wishing life was a lighter shade of grey, Footsteps in the snow, Pools of Blood. Pain/sorrow/hate, another soul lost to madness

Offline Shannen Wrass

• View Profile
They put it in a book with the windshield wipers showing and EVERYTHING???? Ugh! (No offense, LOL)

Offline DJIsaac

• View Profile
I know right, and the date, thats how I knew for sure it was a scam, a legit one, but a scam none the less, they're just looking for enough people to reply so that they have the rights to enough peoples work to make the book even happen
is wishing life was a lighter shade of grey, Footsteps in the snow, Pools of Blood. Pain/sorrow/hate, another soul lost to madness

Offline Shannen Wrass

• View Profile
So what happens when they send it to the copyright office & it's all ready there? I paid the $35 & filed it myself like a month ago, before submitting it anywhere. (The whole copyright thing has me confused too, but that's a whole 'nother thread)

Offline DJIsaac

• View Profile
Sorry, cant help you there, like I said, I never went past the point of having the offer mailed to me. The thing they wanted of mine was crap, I suppose they figure if you signed the paper, you want it to happen enough not to charge them for printing it. I suppose the issue would be if you had it sold to someone else, then they could counter sue you for giving them the rights to publish something that wasnt yours to sell I suppose. Not sure, not a lawyer.

Offline wanderer

• View Profile
    • Western Wood Artist
Check online, but in the US a work is automatically copyrighted when you do it. No need to pay and file.
LAter, Bill

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
Eber & Wein may be legitimate.  They may even send out money to a few 'winners' as the responses to the blog suggest.  But they make their money selling people's own words back to them.   Is that really what you want to buy into?

Let's not beat around the bushes here, Shannen..  It's vanity publishing.

If you're not sure what that means it's very simple.

You pay to have your work put into a book along with a load of other people who also pay.  In return for this you payment you get one copy of the book, and an invitation to buy others at a 'special price'.

It's a rip off at any price and under any name.

Vanity presses will 'publish' complete and utter twaddle as long as the sucker writer pays.  Periodically some public-spirited writer proves this by sending in a piece of work so dire that no self respecting publisher would look at it, yet alone pay to use it.

But do people learn?  Of course not.  They fall for all the weasel phrases about 'work which would otherwise remain unpublished despite its merit' and such like.

In legitimate publishing money flows - well, trickles in some cases - from the publisher to the writer.  No legitimate publisher charges the writer.  There are some small publishing poetry presses who work from the kitchen table and only 'pay' in free copies.  These make very little, are run as a labour of love by enthusiasts, but never ask you for money.  These may be minnows, but they'll never be sharks.

There are also book producers who do just that. Nothing more.  No editing, no value judgement They take your money and produce a book.  There is no quality control on this.  No editing.  No publicity.  In short none of the services you get from a real publisher.  

Some of these producers will offer to sell you these extra services.  As soon as you see this you are dealing with a vanity press.

Technically these people are breaking no laws.  They do exactly what they say they will.  Nothing less, and certainly nothing more.

But what they successfully imply is that you will be read by many, that you will 'get your name out there'.  You could do that just as effectively by making a paper funnel from the money you would send them, and using it as a megaphone to shout your details and verses through it into the face of a force ten gale.   These folks play on your dreams and hopes and do very nicely out of it.

Vanity publishing is an evil and soul destroying business, for the victims.  But very lucrative for the vanity presses.

Gyppo

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:38:38 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Lin

You should never pay anyone to get published - full stop! Never let your heart rule your head. ~This is not your last chance to get published!  Never sign anything you are not sure about.

Lin  ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:03:44 AM by Lin Treadgold »

hillwalker3000

There are 2 problems with vanity presses:

1) They publish ANYTHING. You could write the worst poem you ever wrote - and if you send it to them they will as likely as not tell you it's wonderful and is going to be published by them. Editorial integrity = zero.

2) They also realise that most unpublished writers will grasp any opportunity to see their work in print. But why aim low with a $5 pamphlet when they can offload a $70 brick? If people are dumb enough to waste money on everyone else's garbage just to see their own name on one of the pages perhaps one can understand why E+W go ahead and do it. They're in it for the money.

These people might be parasites - but they're not breaking the law.

H3K