Author Topic: Research for the next book  (Read 9010 times)

Offline 2par

Re: Research for the next book
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
But, The Titanic was in 1912.

cmb

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »
An Egyptian grave gift. A real one, not a fake thing.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »

Maybe that's why it's so weird -- what IS the connection, why would she have this?

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »

I think he just referenced the movie to show an example??

Offline bri h

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 04:11:39 PM »
Thanks for getting the clarification in before I got the chance Bill. Cheers, and I DID mean titanic-'like. Or has Cameron got the copyright on smutty oil-paintings?' heh heh. B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline CPlumb

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
So, you come across obsolete media (aka wire recorder). What's on it? ...and... if it was Mom & her paramour "In flagrante" (Not Al Fresco!) - what do you do with That?

The brief heyday of wire recording lasted from approximately 1946 to 1954.
And you thought finding a floppy drive player was a challenge!  :)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »

Offline Neghe

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »

A jar of eyes.
“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline Graysmog

Something to add? How about a pendant, or a form of jewelry?
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
 While I personally don't know much about witchcraft, I do know witches love to keep an item of "power." Most believe it as a wand. My perception of it would be an amulet, engraved with the words of a magic spell or charm. Or maybe a book, somewhat like the Necronomicon, that is rather tiny, easy to hide, and has symbols only a real "witch" can understand. Finally, I would assume you could use a dagger of sorts, or some type of small weapon. The dagger could be stained with blood (from a previous sacrifice or something along the line), and have the symbols engraved into it's handle and blade, which would again act as a saying, charm, or spell.

Lin

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 07:08:36 AM »
She probably was in the war although the character I portray in the book doesn't seem to be THAT kind of person, however, this could be something she never mentioned.
My old Mum used to say she once was almost engaged to a Canadian soldier and he was killed in the war. Maybe take something from that? Lots of letters from him which she kept.  An idea?

As for the Titanic Brian, I think that might be just a bit cliche, but thanks.

Lin x

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:04 AM »
If she was an outdoor type of girl she could have been in the WLA (Women's Land Army, or WTC (Women's Timber Corps).   A photo of her in their uniform would make people who didn't know it wonder just what she was.  Google the two above and see if they make a good fit for your tale.  There working clothes were as often as not drab overalls, but the uniform is fairly stylish.

Thousands of women learned skills and trades which they promptly surrendered when the men came home and wanted their jobs back.  They just went back to being mothers, daughters and wives.  A lot of them just closed the page and never mentioned it again.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Lin

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2013, 07:35:57 AM »
Oh Gyppo that's clever,  I really like  that one as her personality would fit there for sure.  She was certainly a land girl, it suits her.  

I could have a photo of her dressed in WLA uniform.  Maybe engaged to a soldier who never came back from the war. The other characters in the story find letters in a drawer from him, he was in in prison camp and that was the last she heard of him.  (OR is that too cliche, guys?)  That adds quite a bit of empathy to the story which is what we need right now. I want her to have had a lonely life during childhood and growing up at a teenager, it fits the rest of the story. I want the readers' empathy here.  

All these ideas are great.   :D

Lin  ;)

Offline CPlumb

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »
If the boy she loved went off to war,  why does she have a box of his bones? Hand, foot. Where's the rest of him?
What happened in the forests that caused her to break from her coven and never speak of it again?

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »
She could be engaged to a soldier, who returns from the war and is emotionally scarred. That leaves room for all kinds of "issues." If you wanted to kill him off, then maybe another girl friend, elsewhere, did him in? Did something heroic and was killed.

Offline 2par

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
She fell in love with a Japanese Diplomat. Nobody would have suspected that. He could have taken his child by her home with him to his wife who was childless.