Author Topic: Research for the next book  (Read 8963 times)

Offline WordBird

Re: Research for the next book
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
Maybe he left for the war and didn't come home because he ran off with the girlfriend. The bones they find are far too small to be his. And they are wrapped in an ancient Lost Love witchraft spell only to be used to reverse the effects of the past and lead your lover back to you.

Lin

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 04:31:52 AM »
Oh my, I'm feeling overwhelmed!  ;D ;D ;D

I certainly like the land girl idea and I have started to write something to see if it works.

Rosie and Jess are sitting on the floor, sorting out items from the old wardrobe when Rosie finds photos of her Mum dressed in WLA uniform. 'I never knew Mum was in the Land Army, she never told me about it.'
'Let's see' Jess says.  Then a description of what she wore.

Jess pulls out a box at the back of a large cupboard 'Well, what's all this then?' she says.

What has she found? Must now look up what they wore in the WLA.   Something like this to allow Rosie to find out things about her mother she never knew.  This could lead to lots of other things too. 

So you get the scene? I have to make it sound very authentic now.  Natural dialogue and moving descriptions.  A few more surprises before the boxes of old clothes go to the charity shop. Through this they have found out more about Rosie's mother than anyone knew before.  This leads to a better understanding of her life and the possible reasons for her mother's attitude.  (Don't want to give too much away here - spoilers) 

Yes I like the WLA idea and I think a photo of a lost love could be something I can use too, although not sure if that's too cliche, but this is chic-lit!

We shall see - you'll all have to read the book!  ;)

Thanks everyone.

Lin

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
After considering the time period she lived in, you could make the love letters from a woman. The "sleeping with the enemy" angle could still be used but with a unexpected twist.
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline Warigs

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
In keeping with the WLA theme, maybe a small urn? Containing a single bullet?

Lin

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2013, 02:14:59 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their contributions I got the information I need now and you have all been so helpful. A very successful thread!

Lin x x  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:31:18 AM by Lin Treadgold »