Author Topic: Finding a publisher in the US  (Read 868 times)

Lin

Finding a publisher in the US
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »
As a British author I am reasonably set up for a British market and have sold some books in Holland as well. For me that's not a problem.  I have come across some British authors who have USA publishers. I am led to believe that the chance of being published in the US is good.

I have often wondered how they cope with their royalty payments and general book sales. I wonder how much they lose on the exchange rates and so on.  Many small publishers are advertising for submissions in the US and I know that the royalties are not very high with the small publishers, so may I assume that as a British author it is not worth pursuing a US publisher? Losing on the rates per book can add up.

I have seen a couple of authors who have complained about this problem but for me I didn't actually go there this time around, but for future reference it would be useful to have comments on the subject.

Lin  :)

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
Re: Finding a publisher in the US
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »
I could be wrong, but I believe your publisher would be able to help you with all the questions and perhaps have a contact with an American publisher to get the ball rolling.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
I think it is a problem for small outfits, larger publishers have US imprints that publish 6 months after the UK release. If it's more sales, which you wouldn't have had in the UK anyway, it's all good isn't it?

Going exclusively with US publishers when you are a UK writer might pose those problems regarding difference in exchange rate etc., but . . . do you want to be published or not? Would you like to be able to add to your CV that you have a book published? It seems that many of the smaller publishing houses have such difficult competition that they can't offer the same global rights or translations. An agent would help you with all of these issues.

Maybe your publisher will grow and you want to grow with them, or maybe having shown you can go through the process, you want to pitch at the bigger houses. Having a good house behind you with strong industry contacts and presence can make a great deal of difference to your book's exposure and thus its sales figures, whether UK or both US and UK.

Offline Vel

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »
It's been a while since I looked into this, but to the best of my knowledge if you are a non-US author your royalties from your US book sales will be subject to a 30% withholding tax until you claim it back under a tax exemption.

I know if you're a UK author you have to get a special form for this and show your passport at an embassy the first time you claim, as a mate of mine complained about having to slog down to London to do it. Though this could only be for online publishing and for brick and mortar stuff it might be different but a publisher would be able to tell you that.

EDIT: My fault for not reading the question correctly. In regards to royalty payments, I am not even remotely capable of doing the maths on that. 1 US Dollar, at the moment equals 0.62 British Pound Sterling so it's not an insignificant loss.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:04:25 PM by Vel »
Writer:  "I gave up the slave-job and I've been a self-employed writer for two months now."
Friend:  "What have you sold so far?"
Writer:  "My car, my television, the kids bicycles..."

Offline Neghe

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
You will need an agent. And seeing how the US and Canada are one of the largest markets for novels written in English, I don't see how that would not be worth the effort.
“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski