Author Topic: Authors Disagreeing With Feedback  (Read 30262 times)

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
Re: Authors Disagreeing With Feedback
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2013, 09:45:54 AM »
http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=1485.0

This is a much underused resource. I've just made it a sticky again.

Don -
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #121 on: October 20, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »
I believe Nick will be putting up a new thread for like minded people to get working partners for reciprocal crits.

Offline SunshineX

• ktg
    • Katie Krypton Twitter
« Reply #122 on: October 20, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
 I will definitely use that kind of resource.

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »
Chizzy -- I would like to see the editing list even if it is not used. It might contain several points I hadn't thought of even for self editing.

Offline Neghe

« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »

How 'bout this one: Always edit (take out) before you revise.
“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »
I believe Nick will be putting up a new thread for like minded people to get working partners for reciprocal crits.

That's a fabulous idea. This thread needs a serious overhaul anyway.
He can replace my sticky with his sticky.   :)
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Wolfe

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2013, 01:29:05 AM »
Wow . . . this went in a direction I didn't expect. Well, allow me to say this: I won't participate.

After recent events, I'm not giving my time to anyone else with less than fifty posts. Too many jokers want us to put more effort into their work than they did themselves. And, in almost all cases, I know if the work is king or crap after the first three lines anyway. Also, as mentioned here I think, there's a strong possibility that students are posting homework to improve their grade. Either way, I'm not playing that game anymore. To me, and this is my personal opinion, it's a waste of time until hopefuls prove their worth and their desire to learn.

Not just a pat on the back or a fast fix.

So, I'm not dealing with any more explanations, defensive excuses, or other nonsense wannabes want to whine about when feedback doesn't go their way. It's just not worth the effort or frustration to have to deal with it.

If a writer can't write an opening to save their life, there's no need to say so, over and over again, with an entire story. An agent or editor isn't going to go over the whole thing before they tell you no either. They're going to say so after the first few lines.

If the author proves they can hold attention after the opening, then they can post more in the Prose Workshop and receive a more in-depth review.

Otherwise, what's going to happen is certain posters will increase their post count through Word Games or Coffee Shop, and then post a story to see a deep review. The problem is those authors haven't prepared themselves for review and will meltdown anyway.

We've seen it done before. And we'll see it again in the future. Forgive me, but I thought the point was to show authors how to react to feedback.

Not give them a new avenue where they can bitch even more.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:35:39 AM by Wolfe »

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2013, 01:48:46 AM »
 ;D

Jo Bannister

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2013, 03:32:28 AM »
Got to say, I'm with Wolfe on this one.  Writing is the job of the writer.  Not his friends, not his contacts, not his agent or editor or publisher - the writer.  Until he's done the best he can possibly do with a piece, he shouldn't be showing it to anyone else.  This is essentially a solitary profession.  If you can't deal with that, do something else.