Author Topic: Favorite Opening Lines?  (Read 9426 times)

Offline Neghe

Re: Favorite Opening Lines?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 03:28:05 PM »
That's the thing about first lines: they are 'spose to be the best line for that particular novel, not all round best line in the world. They are only to move you to the next line and that one is to move you to the next, and so on...

To show this it would be better to post the first 5 or 6 paragraphs rather than the first line. Though, the first line is still mightily important.

The odd bit however, is that some of my very favorite novels have rather unimpressive opining lines. :-\  They did do the job of moving you to the next line though.
“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »
That's the thing about first lines: they are 'spose to be the best line for that particular novel, not all round best line in the world. They are only to move you to the next line and that one is to move you to the next, and so on...

To show this it would be better to post the first 5 or 6 paragraphs rather than the first line. Though, the first line is still mightily important.

The odd bit however, is that some of my very favorite novels have rather unimpressive opining lines. :-\  They did do the job of moving you to the next line though.

But Neghe, this thread is about Your Favorite Opening Line.

Not necessarily connected to your favorite book or even a great book.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Neghe

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
I was answering Gyppo's post:

"Just a thought...

Are some of our favourite first lines favourites because we enjoyed the book so much?  We look back on them with favour because they heralded us into a new and fantastic world."

Offline thatollie

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
- The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline ed

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »
Favourite of all time has to be...

Once upon a time... lol

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »
"This is the story of Ewok the Badger, who lived in a poster on a little girl's bedroom wall, and sometimes, just sometimes, he climbed out and went on an adventure."

Out of all the live stories I told to kids at school this was the one which always had them leaning forwards to hear more.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline bri h

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 03:41:11 AM »
"This is the story of Ewok the Badger, who lived in a poster on a little girl's bedroom wall, and sometimes, just sometimes, he climbed out and went on an adventure."

Out of all the live stories I told to kids at school this was the one which always had them leaning forwards to hear more.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a copyright issue there Gyp? Unless the author is George Lucas? Hmm? B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline thatollie

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 03:57:28 AM »

Where can I find the whole story?
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 05:23:07 AM »
It was a bit of a cheek using one of my own opening lines, but remembering all those eager little faces made me realise it is indeed one of my best opening lines ever.

To answer the various questions about Ewok the badger.  A digression from the strict topic, but it deserves an answer.

1)  Ewok (the badger) lived, and possibly still lives - he never bothers to write despite all I did for him - at the Stubbington Nature Reserve.  Animals often get named after currently fashionable characters in places like that.  His poster adorned hundreds of kids bedrooms and many school walls.  If I walked into a classroom and Ewok was on the wall that was one story taken care of ;-)

2)  Ewok in the story wasn't an Ewok from the film, so there was no real reason for Mr Lucas to get snitty.  Even if he'd been interested in the activities of a lowly wandering storyteller ;-)  The copyrighting and trademarking of nearly every damned thing connected with a tale is fairly recent phenomenon, a la Harry Potter.   Further back Walt Disney were - and still are - very serious about their cartoon characters and would sue people who used copies of Mickey and Co in public places without permission.   But this didn't stop hundreds of talented and sometimes no-so-talented art school students earning a few bob by decorating kids bedrooms with 'Disney Scenes'.

3)  Ollie:  The story is on a floppy disc somewhere, buried in my archives.  Well, the basic skeleton of the story.  It changed from school to school.   I'd ask if any of the little girls had an Ewok poster, and if so that would be the name of the girl in the story.  A few more questions set up the framework for his adventures.  Did the family have a cat or a dog?  Or even a goldfish?  Sometimes he would drink a little water from the goldfish bowl, 'because if you'd been stuck in a poster for years you'd be thirsty, wouldn't you children?'

He could only get out of the poster if the moonlight through the window hit it just right.  (I wonder how many kids drove their parents mad by asking them to move the poster to a more suitable wall?)

Once he jumped down he wandered around the house, checking out smells and other interesting things, and polished off any food left lying uncovered. He pushed up the lid of the freezer, but it rattled at him and made him go and hide under the sofa, which is where he frightened the cat, which promptly dashed out through the cat flap.

He looked out through the cat flap and had a good old sniff, but although it was interesting he decided that the world outside was a bit too wild for a poster badger.

By then he'd be getting twitchy, thinking he needed to get back into his poster before the little girl woke up and found him missing.  But it was a long jump back up so he had to clamber onto her bookshelves first and inevitably knocked over a book or two, leaving a clue.  

As long as he got back before the moonlight left the poster he was okay, but sometimes he was a little bit late and couldn't get into quite the right position, so a little girl with a keen eye would know he'd been up to something.

With live storytelling you can watch the faces and trim or pad according the audience reaction.  A luxury we don't have in print.

One day I shall tell it to my Grandaughter, especially if she ever has a badger poster.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:25:42 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline bri h

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 05:29:37 AM »
Anyone seen gyppo?
Yeah I saw him a couple of minutes ago, heading into town. He was in a right state, an' he was mutterin, . . . "Me n my big mouth. Where the hell am I gonna get a badger poster from? this ain't the 70's." heh heh. B

Offline Neghe

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »
I'm surprised there hasn't been a copyright issue there Gyp? Unless the author is George Lucas? Hmm? B

You can not copyright names, titles, or ideas.

Offline bri h

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »
So if I call my school-themed Café, 'Hogwarts,' I'm not going to get a team of hardened lawyers bearing down on me, tryin to sue my ass?  :)

Pale Writer

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
Charlie Farquharson

'At the start there wasn't a thing. That'd be yer Void. Dark too.

His rendition of Genesis. I read it in my 20's and still remember. That counts for something.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:07:45 PM by Pale Writer »

Offline Neghe

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
So if I call my school-themed Café, 'Hogwarts,' I'm not going to get a team of hardened lawyers bearing down on me, tryin to sue my ass?  :)

If it's not trademarked then you can use it. However, nearly everything to do with Potter is highly likely to have been trademarked.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:18:58 PM by Neghe »

Offline bri h

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
If it's not trademarked then you can use it. However, nearly everything to do with Potter is highly likely to have been trademarked.  

"Damn! Another brilliant idea up the Swannee!" heh heh.

And Paley, I was intrigued by your 'Genesis' comment. I'm gonna search it out later. It reminds me of the story of Jericho (I think). It went a little like . . . "But Joshua's feet didn't get wet cos he had his wellies on," or something like that?  ;D