Author Topic: :) Glad to be here, hoping to grow through the experience  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Trejj

:) Glad to be here, hoping to grow through the experience
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:51:52 AM »
John, 48, in Montreal, Canada.  I want to learn the craft of writing fiction.  I want to be a published author.  I have gifts, and they have served me well in business.  But creative writing is another thing.  I will try to be a contributor of ideas, and not just a seeker.
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
 - C.S. Lewis

JewelAS53

Re: :) Glad to be here, hoping to grow through the experience
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:08:46 AM »
Hi, John,
Welcome to the circle. I am sure you will learn all you think you need - and a few things besides :)

J (South Africa)

Offline Laura H

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:12:27 AM »
Welcome to MWC, John.  I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Please take a moment to read our etiquette guidelines-

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

You’ll find more tips in the blue threads with the stick pin icons at the top of each board.  These will help you as you learn your way around.

If you’re looking for feedback on a piece of writing, please post a few critiques for others first. It’s considered good manners and you’re more likely to get helpful advice once we get to know you a bit.

Consider entering any open flash, short story or poetry contests.  They’re fun and anonymous.  You’ll find them at the top of the Writing Games and Challenges board.

Should you need any help along the way, feel free to message a moderator.

Have fun  ;D

Laura H
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Lin

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:42:35 AM »
Hi John,

If you have worked in business then it should put you in good stead for when you want to sell your first novel!  I was 25 years in business and I am now finding it useful to use the skills I had back then.

I wish you every success, you will get there, but only if you are prepared to wait!  If I was to do this all over again, I think I would spend a bit more time reading up on how to become a published author!  It's a very cut-throat business and much more so than I realised.  Be prepared for some stick on the way.  If you want to survive, read and read and learn as much as you can. One day that first novel will come out and you will be that published author.  It's only then that you can say you did it!  Then the hard work begins!  One thing I have to say to you is keep believing in yourself!

All the best to you

Lin

Offline Trejj

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:05:51 AM »
I am already impressed with how nice people are on here.  Thank you for your well wishes.

I love the exchanges - I have started reading some of the posts.  It is meaty stuff, challenging and enlightening.  I am open to advice about first reads or starting points.

I have started writing fiction, having written short stories and one aborted novel.  I have now started a new one and find that I am untidy with my ideas.  There is something good in there, but I need to pare it back with a skillful hand.  I know one of my biggest issues is POV.  I find myself wanting to bounce.  I also have this persistent knack of writing from the omniscient viewpoint, and some have suggested this is outmoded.

I want feedback, but not sure how to get it.  Seems I should give before taking. 
 - C.S. Lewis

Lin

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
Best to post something small at first and then build up according to the guidelines on the forum.  Everyone is most helpful.

Write what you feel is best for you and fix it later.  That's my philosophy.  There are no rules, just guidelines.

Who said you shouldn't have omniescent POV?  We need see what it sounds like so post something and see what happens.  Post in Review My Work.

Good luck

Lin

Offline Astrantia

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »
HI John

I'm new as well and have just posted my first piece of fiction to the board.

I've read your story and enjoyed it but not posted as it seemed to have degenerated into bickering towards the end and I didn't want to get involved in that.

One of the best ways of reviewing the structure of what you have written is to put the work aside for a while and then go back and read it again with a fresh eye. You will see so much more of the flaws when you are able to be objective, reading as if you were not the person who had written it.

I did something very similar to you in a story I wrote a while back in which the initial POV character turned out to be dead at the end, and although I really liked the story, I wasn't really sure how to put that right without losing a lot of what I liked about it. But the person who pointed out to me that it didn't make sense the way I had written it was absolutely right.  Sometimes these things just don't work and you have to scratch it and start again. Dodgy structure can completely spoil a piece.

JewelAS53

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
Hi again Trejj

here's the bar
http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=5732.0

I'm sure everyone will be happy to see you.
Bones has had double clutch swing doors installed so be careful - if you leave in a snit they bang you in the butt  ;D

Offline bri h

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »
Not too sure I'd've used the words 'banged-in-the-butt' Joo. I think Trejj got what you meant though. heh heh. When you do come in the bar Trejj, just leave a comment (and your card) They're a thirsty lot in The Bar. ha ha. Bri.
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline 2par

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
Hi Trej. Welcome.
Brian says you know a bit about Italy. I may pick your brain a bit sometime.

Offline Trejj

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »
Sure.  I will try.  My dad is the real Italian, but I hava been around it all my life.

Alla prossima.
 - C.S. Lewis