Author Topic: Once, in a life far, far away, I bought a silk shirt. (Gentle nostalgia.)  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
   I'm a cotton and denim type, rarely buying anything which can't be boil-washed if need be.  I don't like nylon and other static inducing materials.  But once, many years ago, I bought a silk shirt.  It seems to have shrunk over the years, but I'll never part with it.  

It was an expensive luxury, light blue, and curiously cold to the skin when I first put it on.  But it felt good.  Worn only for special occasions I couldn't help but notice that girls at parties would often come up and fondle it.

"Is that real silk?"

"Of course.  Do you like it?"  A somewhat superfluous question when the lass is stood close in front, running her hands up and down your back, and the rest of her body, caught up in the silky smooth allure is gently caressing your front in instinctive invitation.

"Did it cost a lot?"  A nosy question in my opinion.

"Enough."  A whole week's wages for a lowly apprentice, but I already knew that vagueness was sometimes more intriguing than specifics.

"It's so smooth.  I bet it feels wonderful against bare skin..."

"I'm not about to strip off in a room full of strangers just so you can try it on."

"We could go somewhere..."

And sometimes we did.

On girls around the five foot mark it served as an excellent nightie for unexpected overnight guests.  On taller ones it was as revealing as a hospital gown.  Sometimes they'd try to steal it away.  Unsuccessfully.

Some of my too-small-now clothes find their way into a charity bag on occasions,  but not that shirt.  It smells only of wardrobe these days, not various perfumes and occasionally spilt drinks, but there's nothing wrong with my memory.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:22:38 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
Re: Once, in a life far, far away, I bought a silk shirt. (Gentle nostalgia.)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:06:16 PM »
Fine spun memories.  ;D

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:42:53 PM »
Cashmere does the same trick. ;)

JewelAS53

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 02:44:55 AM »
Ooh... I love the feel of silk...

And napa leather.

And harrods teddy bears.

And yes, I'm one of those ladies who will rub your sleeve. :D
But won't take you outside  ;)

Offline heidi52

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:49:59 AM »
Silk is my favorite too. Cashmere's too hot for me.

We all have an item or two tucked in the closet that will never make their way to charity. At least not while we are alive I suspect.

My husband has a Cossack shirt from the early 70s, that he wouldn't be caught dead in now (nor would he fit), but will never part with.
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/j/Cossack_Shirt.jpg

I have a couple of things and shoes! in particular one pair of impossibly high stilettos in snakeskin. Hard to believe I used to be able to dance in them.  ;D ;D