Author Topic: Clever promotion and branding  (Read 2749 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Clever promotion and branding
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
http://bestsellerlabs.com/hugh-howeys-clever-book-promotion/

Apart from what Hugh Howey produced . . . scroll down read on about how important it is to have a Unique Selling Point. ;)

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
Re: Clever promotion and branding
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »
Excellent link. I'm so inspired. No idea what would work in a historical, but great inspiration...
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline G. London

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
I think what he is doing is fantastic and becoming necessary as attention spans dwindle. He is serving his fan base.

Howey already has a serious fan base and word of mouth from those rabid fans. The question is, if I did something like this, would it be labeled as gimmick from an unknown author trying to break through.

I've been working as hard on my platform as I have on my writing.  I have several ideas on branding and push in the area of what Howey has done here, with the resources to see them through. Once again, how those ideas are fine tuned and come to reality are another thing in my case.

Howey is another recent example of a self-publishing built base getting him a deal in traditional publishing. In his case, and wisely so, he retains exclusive e-rights. Good for him.

Hugh needs to take some of that six-figure advance and buy a $1.99 utility knife before he cuts his typing fingers off.

Thanks for posting that.

Offline bri h

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »
Skinny told me a few weeks ago about this new book she'd just finished, and did I want to read it? But I didn't like the premise. I still don't. And of course, it's 'Wool.' I don't know whether to feel sheepish or clever? But I do know what I like and reserve the right to be 'picky.' B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
That big shiny blade is so damned blunt it's dangerous. 

The drive gimmick is good though.  Gives me an idea.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »
 ;D

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 02:02:58 AM »

I've been working as hard on my platform as I have on my writing. 

I was at some agent and editor panels recently, and all said the same thing --- yes, it's good to build a platform. But it's far less important than a great book. So really, you might be better off working harder on your book than on the platform. The book is what will grab people no matter the platform. Wool worked because it's a good book that touches something people are interested in right now, not just because Hugh pushed it in creative ways.
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Wolfe

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 02:13:26 AM »
What Annmarie said is absolutely correct. The book is priority one. The platform may be amazing, but if the work is crap, it's not doing the author any favors. Word-of-mouth is still the best platform you can get. But the promotions don't hurt either. ;)

Edit: On that note, I'm not crazy about the gimmicks the link shows, no disrespect to Sio of course.  :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:25:12 AM by Wolfe »

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 03:24:49 AM »
 ;) None  taken  -- I thought the USP part of the article was the important bit.

Lin

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 04:24:19 AM »
Selling your book through normal and not forced communication is the right way to go.  I sold 18 books in two hours a couple of weeks ago simply through chatting to people, finding out more about them and being genuinely interested in what they had to say.  After a while they usually come out with 'Oh I'd better buy your book before I forget, can you sign it for me?'   Your promotional material on the desk does a lot for you as well.  You don't have to spend time talking about it unless they ask.  I always say good morning/afternoon to them to get them to notice I am not a member of the bookshop staff. If you want to sell books don't just sit there in the bookshop/venue like a dummy. I found that some bookshops went out of their way to tell me not to do this and complained about other authors who complained their books weren't selling.  The bookshop wants to sell copies as well, they make money on your sales.  Many shops are not keen for you to accost their customers!  It's not what you do, it's the way you do it and a simple 'good morning', or 'oh dear, did you get wet in all that rain just now?' Is enough for them to notice you are there.  

My own USP is the ability not to be shy about saying hello to folks you don't know.  Break that barrier and you find that people can be really interesting. I already made a list of what is unique about my book and use that to good effect.  It works, but you cannot be expected to let the public come to you.  You must find a way through the USP to break down barriers.  My book events have always been at the places mentioned in the book.  Later on I will have to find a way to explore further afield.  I will go back to those places perhaps use a different venue.  You cannot stop promoting, but do it in a way that you aren't harrassing the public to buy.  

I am often asked what the book is about.  I use the USP to my benefit. Depending on where I am at the time. I change my tactics according to the venue.

So here I go again ;D ;D ;D ;D Next venue Amsterdam on Saturday!

Enjoy

Lin

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:37:16 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Wolfe

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 04:26:36 AM »
Lin is correct. I hate, hate, HATE book signings, but I'll admit I gained some fanatical fans from signings. Still, I could share a nightmare story about a book signing and a bookstore closing on the same day . . . but that's way off topic . . .  and rather cruel to boot. 8)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:34:08 AM by Wolfe »