Author Topic: Here's a new web site I joined for FREE that is earning me money for writing  (Read 13854 times)

Offline CosmicFaery

• Cosmic Faery's Tarot
One small question: If they pay in Dollars, how would I get paid in the United Kingdom?

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
It's not a problem. Google will pay you in British pounds if you prefer (or other currencies). They simply convert the amount due to you in US Dollars to the equivalent amount in Sterling at the current exchange rate. Payment is then sent by cheque or electronic funds transfer.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline scottslittlebrat

• My Space site
I haven't really read enough yet about how this works but I'd like to give it a try.  I just have one quick question.  When I went to the WritingUp website and then clicked on Get Started, it says you need to do 3 things and the first step listed is to create a Google AdSense account.  But don't you need to create your account on WritingUp first so you'll have your website (url) already created and ready to copy and paste into your Google AdSense account? 

If anybody knows the answer to my stupid question, let me know.  In the meantime, I'll look into it a little more which is what I should be doing anyway  ;D.

Thanks,  Dianne

Offline goldanon

Hi Dian and others who have been requesting info on the blogosphere.  Okay, I've been doing it since January and Nick was right to begin with.  My advice to you would be to open an account with both Blogger and Writingup and then simply put the same post into each blog.  The main reason for htis is that Writingup is a great way to get readers, but it is not the best way to make money with a blog.  Blogger on the other hand IS a good way to make money.  So this is how it works.  YES, you have to open your google ADSENSE account first so that you have the "pub" number to put into Writingup, even though you can open a Writingup account and use it WITHOUT the adsense account - but why not get those adsense pennies.  Then, open your blogger account.  Once you have your blogger account open,  you can apply to Blogitive.com; if they accept you, they give you $5.00 per ad, and when you've been with them for a while, you can make more (they have the info there).  After the Blogger account has been open for 90 days and you have at least 20 blogs on it, you can then start posting ads from PayperPost.com which has ads ranging from $2.50 to $20.00.  Blogitive pays on a weekly basis and PayPerPost pays on a monthly basis.  You CAN make good money from both these sites.  The Writingup/adsense account, they keep telling me, will start to make REAL money after about a year.  I don't know if I believe them, HOWEVER, it is worth opening an account with Writingup just to get the readership, but don't expect a lot of money from this account - just be sure to post a link to your Blogger account as a signature in your comments on Writingup.  Are you confused?  Go ahead, ask, I don't mind answering if I CAN!

Offline goldanon

A quick NOTE: the reason for the Blogger account is that PayPerPost and Blogitive will not accept applications from "pay blog sites," which they consider Writingup to be, and the reason for the Writingup account is that they bring  the readers to you, which is really the hardest part about making money on any blog (getting the readers).

Offline Writers Block

It is perfect for anyone who already writes an online blog.  But it works for anyone who loves to write.  You can write on anything – submit stories or pick a subject you’re an expert on or have experience in – a hobby, a special talent, your job, etc…
There’re no strings attached, no contract, no sign-up fee.  The more you write, the more you earn.  The amount you earn depends on how much you write.
You're not going to be able to quit your job, but you can make anywhere from an extra $50 dollars a month to $3-400 a month.  It all depends on how much you write.

When you sign up, I get the same ads that are placed on your blog put on my blog. This  is how we earn (through the ads placed on our blogs) so I ask that when they ask you who referred you, please put    fggoldston

When you get there, check out the “getting started” on the left hand side for instructions on how to sign up. 
Good luck! Hope it works out for you!

Without reading other posts, I am asking a question, sorry if it's been asked previous;

( Re: Here's a new web site I joined for FREE that is earning me money for writing )

Have you got the cash in the bank?

I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline Writers Block

One small question: If they pay in Dollars, how would I get paid in the United Kingdom?

You can bank a check in dollars, although it will cost you to do so, so may not actually be worth it.  I would suggest opening an account in the states, somehow and banking the cash there, when you have sufficient, then arrange a transfer or somesuch, perhaps even use it as a holiday fund.:)

No idea how practical this is now, terrorism being the threat it is supposed to be.
I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
I do bank Dollar cheques in the UK fairly regularly. It's quite a straightforward process, though my bank (HSBC) charges me a £5 transaction fee every time.

As I understand it, it is very difficult for a non-US resident to open a US bank account. Normally you have to have a an address in the USA before a bank there will open an account for you (this may be a legal requirement). I understand that there are some websites that offer to set up US bank accounts for non-residents, but they charge a fee and I don't know how genuine they are.

With AdSense, though, as I said earlier in this thread, it isn't a problem. You can simply tell them what currency you want to be paid in and they will convert whatever sum is due to you into that currency and send you a cheque or EFT payment in your currency.

Nick
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline goldanon

Have you got the cash in the bank?
Yes.  I got $100.00 from adsense in March - opened the blog in January.  SInce I didn't blog every day, it wasn't a bad deal for me, however adsense waits until you have built up $100.00 before they pay out and since then (march - it's now august) I've been sitting with $70+ dollars and very few clicks.  I've been told that after a year or so of blogging I should have built up a big enough readership blah, blah but the type of stuff I write about is never going to bring me a 'readership,' so I don't ever expect to make much money off that account.  HOWEVER, if you read the following posts regarding blogitive and payperpost, the account is worht having.  Without getting into too much boring detail, writingup has a comment section and if you are blogging there, and go read other people's blogs and leave comments, those same peopel will click on the links you put in your signatures.  Which can get you a couple of hundred 'reads.'  This makes your blogger account valuable to both payperpost and blogitive.  Anyway, I have made good money off both payperpost and blogitive (a little over$100.00 in one month).  (I'm very poor, an extra $100.00 amonth is good money to me).  I have only just started with both payperpost and blogitive though and I do think that I wil be able to make maybe $500 a month with both of them, but I have little hopes for the adsense account to ever make me much money (adsense is the writingup pay per blog plan).  I don't know if UK residents can use these two sites - there is one woman in writingup who, I believe, lives in England and she makes a lot of money blogging.  SHe has quite a few blogs though and writes every day etc..  SHe writes about writing!  Freelance writing mainly.  Her name is Sharon Hurley Hall.  You can look at a blog she posted concerning this subject here:  http://www.writingup.com/sharon_hurley_hall/where_i_get_paid_to_write

Narnian Prince

"As I understand it, it is very difficult for a non-US resident to open a US bank account. Normally you have to have a an address in the USA before a bank there will open an account for you (this may be a legal requirement)." 

No offense intended Nick but a lot of banks and Trust companies her in Canada are more than happy to open U.S. Band accounts due to the frewquency of transactions that occur between Canada and the U.S.  Also, some South American coutnries like Peru while their actual currency is the Peso, will gladly do business with people involving opening U.S. bank accounts.

Chris

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
"As I understand it, it is very difficult for a non-US resident to open a US bank account. Normally you have to have a an address in the USA before a bank there will open an account for you (this may be a legal requirement)." 

No offense intended Nick but a lot of banks and Trust companies her in Canada are more than happy to open U.S. Band accounts due to the frewquency of transactions that occur between Canada and the U.S.  Also, some South American coutnries like Peru while their actual currency is the Peso, will gladly do business with people involving opening U.S. bank accounts.

Chris

I'm not convinced, Chris! Here's a quote I found on one Internet site: "After September 11 and the laws promulgated in the US Patriot Act, opening a US Bank Account as a non-US resident became almost impossible."

I'd accept that it may be a little easier from Canada because of the amount of business that is inevitably done between the two countries, but I'm not at all sure it would be easy from the UK. If any Brits on MWC have successfully opened US bank accounts without going over there in person, I'd love to hear how they did it!

Nick

Narnian Prince

I do understand your point Nick and I've seen similar warnings.  In fact, one media source here in Canada did a spoof piece on 9/11 with a group of foreign nationals opening U.S. bank accounts in Canada with ease, any piece of scribbled paper was accepted as i.d so that no racism was ever inferred.  The main point was apparently based on the idea that terrorists can enter the U.S. a lot easier from Canada than any other country as was evidenced by the security video tapes of 9/11 showing the terrorists entering from Canada.  Surely if there one country that should have stoped the practice it should have been Canada but it wasn't and business here, in most respects, goes on as though nothing ever happened.

It's sad, to me, that the banking laws are tougher outside North America when it is so much harder to reach the U.S. from any other soil.  Hopefully, in time, things will change and it will be easier for you.  :)

Have a truly wonderful and Blessed day!  :)

Chris

Offline goldanon

For all the Brits in here, I have a question.  Can you use PayPal?  Most of these sites pay through PayPal - even if you can, I know that doesn't mean that you can necessarily get paid with them as there is still the problem of changing the currency.  But Paypal puts the money directly into your bank account - I don't see why it would be a problem for Paypal to put it into any account in the world.

Offline Writers Block

It is possible to use paypal.

WB

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Well, I'm a Brit and have a Paypal account!

I get Paypal payments from various sources. Some are in UK pounds and others are in US Dollars. So at any time, my Paypal account shows a dollar balance and a pounds balance (if I ever got paid in euro, it would show a euro balance as well). I can easily change money from one currency to another on my Paypal homepage. In practice, though, I find it useful having balances in both currencies, so that I can easily buy things using Paypal in dollars or in pounds.

Nick