Author Topic: Lucas's - Grammar Question!  (Read 24858 times)

Offline Clairedy_Kat92

Lucas's - Grammar Question!
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:20:31 AM »
Afternoon Everyone,

This grammar point has been bothering me for a while now and unfortunately I haven't got a style manual to consult...yet.

I want to know in Australia-English Grammar which is correct:

"I saw Lucas's hand waving at me"

OR

"I saw Lucas' hand waving at me"

Thank you !  :)

Offline Mastafrank

Re: Lucas's - Grammar Question!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 12:28:26 AM »
Lucas' ;)

Wolfe

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:59:44 AM »
Actually, assuming Lucas is a first name, Lucas' and Lucas's are both grammatically correct. The answer depends on the style book you follow as far as punctuation.

For example, King James's is traditionally correct. And here is an example noted from a grammar school with the same name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James%27s_Grammar_School,_Almondbury

As shown with The Elements of Style, be consistent. If you use Lucas', as opposed to Lucas's, then keep it that way in your writing. No switching. There may be some disagreement between journalistic or publishing style, such as between The Associated Press Style Manual and The Chicago Manual of Style, so be sure to follow the style the printing house wants.

Again, either is correct depending on the style book you follow.

Naturally, there are exceptions to the rule, such as with Jesus' name, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:46:00 AM by Wolfe »

Offline Clairedy_Kat92

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 03:50:52 AM »
Thanks for the answers  :) I'm going to purchase an Australian Style Manual and follow that as I'm not up to the stage where I know what agent or publisher I'm going to pitch to.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »
What would you say if reading it aloud - two syllables or three?  I'd say three and therefore write it as Lucas's.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 07:15:27 AM »
I would tend to go with Lucas's (belonging to Lucas) in the same way that the dress's hem belongs to the dress.

Lucas' suggests that there's a singular Luca (Luca's) as well as several Lucas (the Lucas').

H3K

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
When in doubt, recast the sentence.

"Lucas waved."
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.