Author Topic: Writing on paper first?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Mastafrank

Re: Writing on paper first?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
quick notes on paper-then computer

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
Heidi.

If you're really keen on simplicity you can turn off nearly all the 'helpful' stuff and just have an almost empty screen to write in.

In Jarte- which is effectively Word with the pretty bits thrown out or hidden - all I have is a row of buttons along the top, which I can easily ignore unless I need them, and a running page and word count right at the bottom.  No nagging squiggles.  Just a gentle grey screen which is kind on my shopworn eyes.  Most processors will let you do something similar.

Also, find the auto-save function and set it for something short like three minutes.  I still do manual saves as well, out of habit, but the safety net of never losing more than three minutes of work is very reassuring when you're in the groove and suddenly realise you have been barrelling along like a runaway train for half an hour or more without saving.  

I've also turned off most of the 'warming' beeps and whistles.  My early machines were silent, and I prefer it that way.

Just myself, the monitor, and the patter of the keys.  Bliss ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline heidi52

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
Thanks for the helpful hints. Auto-save, brilliant!  ;D ;D

I mute my sound, I hate computer noises. Easy enough to turn on when I need it.

Offline 2par

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 03:26:09 AM »
Writing first is difficult for me these days. But printing out what I've done and proofread a bunch of times is the most helpful. Today, I looked at done chapters that I'd edited and re-edited on the computer but seeing them on paper is a different thing. I had to make corrections on almost half the pages!