Author Topic: The 2013 NanoWrimo Thread  (Read 29207 times)

thatollie

The 2013 NanoWrimo Thread
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »
My oh my, its only nearly two months until November 1st and we haven't started the annual Nano thread. Well, I'm here to fix that. For those that don't know, I'll post a brief synopsis of the challenge.

National Novel Writing Month

Nanowrimo (as it is often called) or Nano, is a yearly challenge run by The Office of Letters and Light. It's free to enter, although donations to it's charity projects and purchase of it's awesome merchandise are welcomed. The challenge: to write a 50,000+ word novel (or shorter projects adding up to 50,000+ words) in a single month, specifically the month of November.

Where to go: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

So, which old hands are participating, and which newbies are getting snared in the challenge.

Also, we've had a really good topic of advice for nano in the past. Here's the link for that.
http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=39739.0

Offline 2par

Re: The 2013 NanoWrimo Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
Do the rules say you have to start and stop in Nov. Who checks on that? Can you start it earlier?

thatollie

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
You really should start on November 1st. Nobody checks on you, it's not that type of game. The only person seeing whether you obey the rules is yourself.

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »
I might join for the first time! November is about when I want to write the first draft of my next book, so the timing is perfect. I'll be planning in advance, though. At least an outline on the back of an envelope.  ;)
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline 2par

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
Okay, I looked at the site. Evidently, you write on the site?

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »
2Par, click the last link Ollie offered you, it's a very good article Gyppo wrote about NaNo, it will likely answer any question you might have and probably some you haven't even thought of.  ;)

I've done NaNo several times, haven't always managed the goal of 50,000 words in a month. But I've always enjoyed the challenge and I've reached or surpassed the word count more often than not.

No, you don't write on the site. You write as you normally do. When you wish to validate your word count, you copy and paste your work on the site. No one but you can actually see or read your words this is only to validate the count.

MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline 2par

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »
Yes, I lightly scanned that second link. Thanks Alice.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
I might have a go again and again I probably wont finish, second baby coming end of september/beginning of October.........so we will see.......
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

thatollie

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »
Okay, I looked at the site. Evidently, you write on the site?

nay, you write on your computer. but late on in the month you can scan your work to the site for confirmation of your total.

I might have a go again and again I probably wont finish, second baby coming end of september/beginning of October.........so we will see.......

And, congrats again.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:43:36 PM by Sprocket »

Offline 2par

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
But, if I want to submit the book I've already started and continue working on it, how strict does the "write in November" thing work? What if someone has a MS started years ago, would that be accepted. It's just odd.

thatollie

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »
But, if I want to submit the book I've already started and continue working on it, how strict does the "write in November" thing work? What if someone has a MS started years ago, would that be accepted. It's just odd.

This isn't a publishing dealy, it's just writing for the joy of writing.

Offline 2par

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 03:10:10 PM »
yeah, odd.

thatollie

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »
yeah, odd.

What's so weird about that?

JewelAS53

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »
I'm going away on holiday for 2 weeks in Nov this year. Booked and paid for a year ago... Think I have to bow out of this one this year.

Offline 2par

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
It's not odd to write for the joy of it. But I didn't see any claims of future editing and publishing from prior winners or entries.
I know the same type of challenge has been held here on site, but those are done within a small community where just working towards that goal is satisfying to both the entrants and the community. But, it seems that NANO is really just self serving.