Author Topic: laptop or desktop  (Read 7190 times)

Jo Bannister

Re: laptop or desktop
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »
Lap-top, but only recently.  I liked the idea of having a fixed work-station.  Now I like the idea of NOT having one.  I don't have any problems with comfort, whether I use it at a table (as now) or on a lap tray with my feet up in the sunroom.  One advantage of that is that I haven't enabled my Wi-Fi, so if I go into another room to write I can't get distracted by the internet (ie, you guys!)  Another is, if I have any problems, I can take it to a more technologically literate friend, or failing that a professional, without needing to hitch up the horsebox.

For the record, it's 15.5 in screen.  But I magnify the page to 120%.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »
For the record, it's 15.5 in screen.  But I magnify the page to 120%.

Another one who makes the technology work for them instead of blindly accepting the default settings ;-)

From what I hear a lot of people grumble about what Micro or Mac gives them, but never think - or dare - to change it around a bit.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

JewelAS53

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »
I got a Lap-top, with 15-inch screen, but it sits next to and is plugged in to my 32-inch LCD TV, and I relax on the sofa with a wireless keyboard with built-in touch pad. :D

I shared this with hubby and he had the same response I did.
You obviously don't share this particular space with anyone  :o

Offline Dean

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »
Desktop, but that's more to do with the fact that I'm a gamer. The big screen is nice too though  :P.

The cheap laptop will do for when I'm feeling pretentious and want to write in a cafe, or when I'm travelling Europe.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:42:45 PM by Dean »

Offline cswillson

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »
  One advantage of that is that I haven't enabled my Wi-Fi, so if I go into another room to write I can't get distracted by the internet (ie, you guys!).

I agree with your intuitive knack for alleviating distractions. (How's that for a literary sentence?)

But, without the internet you lose the ability to save your work off-site and the ability to access it from other machines. Consider a compromise. Get occasional access to WiFi, or use your WiFi and work offline most of the time.

I'd hate for you to lose your WIP, or past WIPs, because of a faulty $3 piece of electronics.
C.S.

FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO

Offline DC

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »
I shared this with hubby and he had the same response I did.
You obviously don't share this particular space with anyone  :o

My Cat... ;D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Jo Bannister

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »
Bless you, CSW, but don't worry, I'm scrupulous about saving my work.  In multiple files on my laptop, on memory sticks, as e-mail attachments and, yes, to my desktop as well.  In fact, for scrupulous read neurotic.

Of course I access the internet - hello, here I am!  I just don't think it's helpful to be doing it 24/7.  So I take the laptop into another room when I want to concentrate, and bring it back to the phone socket when I want to connect.  Not much of an effort, just enough to make me think through my writing problems instead of wandering off to see what the world's up to instead.

Offline jeff

• A Moonbeam Shines On Viroconium
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 04:18:45 AM »
I do all my writing on my laptop, and play games games and surf the web on my desktop. If I tried writing on a machine that had games on it I'd never get anything written.

Offline Dean

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »
I do all my writing on my laptop, and play games games and surf the web on my desktop. If I tried writing on a machine that had games on it I'd never get anything written.

The amount of writing sessions I've interrupted for Starcraft 2 confirms your theory  ;D!

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
On a laptop with a 13-inch screen, zoom function, and Scrivener installed.

The first laptop I ever bought had a 15-inch screen, and I found it far too awkward to be truly portable, though that may have more to do with my petite build then the portability of 15-inch laptop. The only way a could carry it comfortably was in a backpack which started at the base of neck and ended at my tailbone. I felt like I was carrying an enormous cinder block everywhere I went. Horrible!

Like Jo, I usually write in a comfy chair or in bed with my feet up. Although, I have used it in cafes (for internet) and libraries as well. That's the benefit of a laptop: you're not tied to one location so you can do your research on the same device that you do your writing.
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline Onick

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »
The amount of writing sessions I've interrupted for Starcraft 2 confirms your theory  ;D!

Same with me for League of Legends  :D
But I only have a laptop, but I never had any preference as to either desktop or laptop, as long as I can get my work done and without distraction. If I had both, I'd still have games on both so I'd be stuck in that prospective.