Author Topic: laptop or desktop  (Read 7270 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Re: laptop or desktop
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 02:34:58 PM »
   ;D

I'm with Nick as far as the desktop is concerned but it's only used for editing. The actual writing is done longhand on yellow legal pads. The problem is that desktops are rapidly becoming a thing of the past as we move into the age of wireless. I should probably go buy a backup or two while they're still available.

The desktop machine will be with us for a long time yet, despite all the hoo-ha about the wonders of portable computing.  You may eventually need to go to somewhere that sells to businesses rather than the fickle fashion led public, but the desktop is still the workhorse of the world.

Some people buy a new computer for the same reason as some people redecorate every third year, even when there is no real need to do so.  Simply because they get bored with it.

The only real reason for a new machine - or a modification to old faithful - is because you now need to do something the old one can't, or because something's broken.

When I visit Darkest Cornwall for a christening in a couple of months time I may take my ancient 8-bit Amstrad Notebook, but I'm more likely to take a pad of paper and cut the cyber-umbilical for a few days.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »
protekme, if you are using Windows, type "msconfig" into the search programs box. You will then see options for disabling start up programs.

It's surprising just how many unnecessary programmes you can turn off without any problems.  Laptop or desktop, remember it's just a tool, which is there to serve you.  Rather than you being there to justify all sorts of fiddly stuff which some salesman says you need.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
The smallest screen i write regularly on is that of my iPad... roughly 10 inches diagonal. Although the on screen keyboard can take up half the screen, there is still enough space to see a bout a paragraph above where i'm currently writing. :)
And if i use a bluetooth keyboard i see the whole screen.

But i also use a 15" screen laptop on my desk at work and a desktop pc at home.  :D
"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline cswillson

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
What size is your screen?

The big retina display. 15", I think.
C.S.

FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO

Offline ChrisHarrison

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 04:34:45 AM »
Laptop. Probably 12 or 13" screen. It's just a standard model. I prefer this because I can sit anywhere in the house with it. I also use a 7" tablet when I'm out. It's for rough stuff only because of the size of the keyboard, but I prefer it to writing pads now. I like being able to transfer what I've typed rather than retype what I've written.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »
...but I prefer it to writing pads now. I like being able to transfer what I've typed rather than retype what I've written.

That wretched retype is your first edit.  Not as precious as a first-born child, but useful nonetheless ;-)

Offline ChrisHarrison

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
The rough draft on the tablet needs rewriting. Copying from a writing pad is physically awkward unless I have some unwieldy Heath Robinson contraption attached to the laptop.

Offline Chord

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 01:07:15 PM »
I had to do that once, transfer a longhand story to my computer after I'd had a few months out in Greece sans computer. What I did, and found really useful, was to use a dictophone thing to record me reading the longhand version, then listen to the recording and type it into the computer. It was bloody tortuous but the writing I ended up with on the computer was fantastic.

I've never done it that way since as I've never needed to. Shame really.
With a fat friend there is no such thing as a see-saw, only catapults.

JewelAS53

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
Tablet's back from hospital - good as new ;D

I use retype from longhand to digital as first edit opportunity.

Offline bri h

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
Only time I change pc's is when the one I'm using becomes so out-dated it starts to get embarrassing. I feel so pc-inadequate when listening to the young-uns at family functions. I tend to do more watching and taking notes, rather than trying to impress with my 'so-last-year' comments. Btw, I'm still a 15 incher man. Plus, I don't like those new pill-box type screens. If I wanna view things like that, I'll watch a dvd. B
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:17:03 PM by brianh »
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline The Dude Abides

• terrancebramblett.wordpress.com
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
Desktop exclusively, with a 22" display, usually have two pages of text side-by-side on the screen. I tried taking handwritten notes one time for a spell, but found I could not tell what I had written when I looked back at it. I have a notebook PC with a 15" screen that I carry on trips but it isn't for writing. I am a two-finger typist and need a full size keyboard with full key travel and audible/tactile feedback. Actually a keyboard with keys the size of ice cubes might be better for my easily misdirected fingers ...
"Little red wagon
Little red bike
I ainít no monkey but I know what I like"
                 Buckets of Rain, Bob Dylan

Offline bri h

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
Ice-cube-sized-keys . . . ok am drooling now. heh heh. I actually remember keys on the Brother Electric Typrwriter having keys like that. I loved to type on it, but couldn't afford one and had to settle for a Sharps Electric. still a good typewriter, but with teeny tiny keys. B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 08:27:13 PM »
I got a Lap-top, with 15-inch screen, but it sits next to and is plugged in to my 32-inch LCD TV, and I relax on the sofa with a wireless keyboard with built-in touch pad. :D

I do also have my SDDT...Steam Driven Desk Top, but it hasn't been fired up for about three years.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - open throttle in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming : "Woo Hoo, what
a ride!"

Offline Vienna

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 04:25:08 AM »
me and she who must be obeyed have a laptop each. Simply because we haven't  room for  desktops. With baby number 2 due very soon we will have even less room.
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 05:19:59 AM »
me and she who must be obeyed have a laptop each. Simply because we haven't  room for  desktops. With baby number 2 due very soon we will have even less room.

Self inflicted problems ;-)

Actually a keyboard with keys the size of ice cubes might be better for my easily misdirected fingers ...

Larger keyboards can be bought, but tend to be expensive.  The number pad, all that wasted space at the right hand end, is usually a separate smaller board  which writers don't normally need.

Gyppo