Author Topic: Using keywords and meta-data in scrivener  (Read 35150 times)

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
Re: Using keywords and meta-data in scrivener
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 04:59:40 AM »
I haven't worked it all out yet V, but I love it. Don't forget the discount code when you purchase it mate.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 05:26:36 AM »
cheers Ma. I reckon I will definitely go for it.
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Chord

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
Yep Vienna. Definitely worth having.

It allows you to express your story at a rough level, playing about with ideas before committing to serious writing. When you DO get into serious writing it lets you work in managable chunks and skip about - so if you want to write a scene you've got in mind for the end of the story, then a bit from the middle and so on, it's easy to do. You can add keywords to indicate threads in the story, have an overview of all the scenes, seeing level of completion

You can set writing targets and see progress towards them, both on a daily basis and a project basis (I love this. It keeps me honest about how much work I'm doing).

When it comes to editing scenes you can make snapshots of them, store them off, revise them, take another snapshot, reverting back to earlier versions quickly and easier. This is a godsend when doing a second or final draft.

It lets you store all your research, with the document, even web pages in an organised way.

Then at the end you can compile it as a paperback manuscript, an e-book (.epub and .mobi) or pretty much any other format. You can create scripts in it then export to final draft 8 - or export to word if you wish.

Actually the editor itself is good enough that I've never needed to export to either - I just use script or document directly.

So yeah, it's good. Word processors are great for secretaries and business. This is a writer's tool, designed to support the way writers work. I don't miss a single thing for not working in final draft or word, but gain so much more than either can offer. It really is as big a step as going from typewriter to word-processor for me.

As with anything, there is a learning curve - but the online tutorials are fantastic. And, as I've mentioned above you have to use it in the context of a story-writing process - it's not one of those story-template tools that do it all for you. The good thing is that it fits in with pretty much any way of working.

With a fat friend there is no such thing as a see-saw, only catapults.