Author Topic: True Stories Needed for Magazine  (Read 5126 times)

Offline Maria

True Stories Needed for Magazine
« on: February 10, 2006, 04:14:21 AM »
Hi everyone,

There is a new magazine that has come out requesting readers stories, and offering to pay 500 for each story printed.  I have bought the mag to see what the stories are like that they are expecting.  Basically they are supposedly True Life stories.  I will give you an example of the headings titling the stories in this issue then you will be able to make up your own mind.  1/Squashed by a tractor  2/I found hell inside a suitcase (the chap found 3 dead babies, decomposed in a suitcase in his new house in the loft) mmm that makes me think better check the loft at the new house before I move next week, now where was I oh yeah 3/How little Bethany and Leanna are kept alive by batteries!.

And so the list goes on you can submit your stories on line and the email address is features@realpeoplemag.co.uk

Good Luck  Maria. x

PS If anyone gets a story accepted let me know
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 03:12:37 AM by Lin »
There is no such word as CANT

Lin

Re: True Stories Needed for Magazine
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 04:45:30 AM »
Ive just sent them an e-mail about a story I have in mind which I am sure is eye catching.   There's a chap who lives near to my house and he is building a replica of Noah's Ark.   He has had a message from God and is using the plans out of the Old Testament!!   He has also remortgaged his home here in Holland to do it.   There's more of the story than I care to write here, but anyway I got a reply from the magazine to say I would hear from them within a week if they were interested.  I bet they get a FLOOD of replies!!!

Lin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 01:33:50 PM by Lin »

Offline Linda Aitchison

• A little bit about me x
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 01:45:47 PM »
The sum of up to 500 is paid to the subject of the story. More is paid to the writer. They want  a very high level of personal detail and can change copy beyond recognition - but will read it to the subject before publication. Do you mean features@realpeoplemag.co.uk?
<a href="http://www.freelancewritingtips.com">"Currently updating and adding to my book on freelance writing</a>

Lin

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 03:14:50 AM »
Hi there,

Ive changed the e-mail addy you were quite right, Maira gave it to me in some personal mail.  She is moving house and harrassed to death by packing boxes, we'll excuse her!!

Lin

Offline Mark with a k

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 06:26:20 AM »
Hi Lin.

If I were on the editorial panel of this magazine I think I'd be sending you a thanks, but no thanks letter. Surely building an Ark is a sensible thing to do if you're lucky enough to live in the Netherlands. Every home should have one, every other home is one! ;D

The only thing I can think of that might make it into the magazine's pages would be a story on a couple I met in San Diego. At the time, they ran a museum opposite a restaurant called the Blue Point, it's in San Diego's restaurant district, I can't remember what the district is called. My visit there pre-dates the internet so what they had on display in the museum would have been quite shocking at the time.

All around the walls were photographs, taken in the 40s or 50s I'd estimate, of road accidents and later material of war casualties and some very nasty crime scenes. In addition, they had some preserved human remains of a medical nature and letters they had exchange with imprisoned celebrity serial killers and the like. Spooky.

There was a live chicken free to roam around the museum too. It ate Kentucky Fried Chicken from a box on the floor. I made the mistake of asking what qualified the cannibal chicken for its role as a live exhibit, "It has two butt-holes" came the matter of fact answer. It did look a bit weird round the rear quarters, like it had a parting in fact.

Lin

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »
Ref Noah's Ark

Well so far this guy has been inundated with the press and TV from all over the world so if little me gets in there with a mag article then I would consider it a bonus!

Lin

Offline Linda Aitchison

• A little bit about me x
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 08:35:03 AM »
The commissioning editor sums up what she wants by saying they are after stories of 'ordinary people who have had something extraordinary happen to them.'

They want families at war, 'love rats', disastrous dates, 'miracle' babies, victims of crime etc etc. They are written in the first person and are full of very personal detail.

They also prefer, as most publications do, that their stories are exclusive. They have also been joined by a similar magazine, published by News International, called Love it!
<a href="http://www.freelancewritingtips.com">"Currently updating and adding to my book on freelance writing</a>

Offline ddraigmor

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 07:26:51 AM »
Do they have a website?

I have a cracking sea story (real life) that I'd like to see published.......

Jonty

Offline ddraigmor

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 07:31:37 AM »
Apologies - I found the site!

Ta for the lead.

Jonty

Offline ddraigmor

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 08:17:40 AM »
Sorry for the third post! I have just edited and then sent my story to the magazine - see what they make of it.

Meanwhile, I have posted it for all to see in the appropriate thread.

Regards,

Jonty