Author Topic: Go On Write -- book covers  (Read 6014 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Go On Write -- book covers
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »
http://www.goonwrite.com/

Choose categories etc. ;)

Offline thatollie

Re: Go On Write -- book covers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »
Some of those covers are okay, a fair few are really meh.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 05:07:11 AM »
Not bad for the price, IMO. Always useful to have another resource to check out.
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline humblenations

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:16:30 AM »
Some of those covers are okay, a fair few are really meh.

I won't take offence because I'm not that sort of chap. I am the designer from Go On Write. So maybe a little explanation. If you will allow.

First off, a lot of the 'Good' cover go really fast on my site. Also it all rather depends on what you're going for as well ... super-genre-style covers usually take a lot of work (which what you probably have in mind) and then become a cost prohibitive exercise for me. I wouldn't spend half a day to make $30-$40 because it's not just going work. To put it into perspective I've designed about 3,000 cover in the last year. So I guess you get what you pay for. There are other good service out there that sell these 'half-day' pre-made cover but you're looking at $100-$200; Damonza springs to mind - a very good designer. Highly recommended. More Genre style covers, lots of photoshop work on there (his site is here).

The other thing you need to consider as well that, yes a lot of my covers are really simple, but when you talk about the two seconds a potential reader views at a cover on Amazon (if we're talking Kindle self-published books - which is my main market) it has to hit and be clear and concise quite quickly. It's not like pawing over eye-candy on a bookshop self with the smell of coffee wafting in the air. Over complex covers tend to look visually 'muddy' at small thumbnail sizes. It's about getting the right tool for the job. Simple strong and cheap. That's my motto.

Any way, big thanks to the original poster for bigging me up. Appreciate it.

Any questions, I'm happy to answer, so go ahead.

Offline ed

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
Another one to add to the mix for covers and I have used his service. He's very good.

http://damonza.com/

Offline writersresist

• Writers Resist
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »
Yes, I've used his service also. Excellent quality and very affordable.