Author Topic: computer or paper  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
Re: computer or paper
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 11:02:54 AM »
I wouldn;t even think about doing any of my wriitng longhand, for one thing, no one would be able to read it.... No, seriously apart from that, my book was re-arranged and edited so many times during the time I spent wriitng it, that to have done that by hand would have been an absolute nightmare. I can see how it may work for a ficiton writer who is very well organised, but I am neither of these....

June 
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline eakucera00

• Be a Writer - Be a Better Writer
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 06:45:27 PM »
Does anyone use a digital tablet?  One that writes it out, and then translates it into MS-Word?  I have thought about buying one for a friend of mine, but i'm afraid either it doesn't work as well as it's advertised or he won't even use it.. :(

Offline Vivian

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 09:39:52 PM »
Hi Glued -
I am a teacher in Canada and I read an interesting article 5 or 6  years ago which may help you make a decision with regards to  your "computer or paper" question.  I just wish I could remember which educational publication I read it in!  (Isn't that always the way?)  Anyway, the experiment took children from the ages of 10 through 17 and asked them to write a creative piece.  Half of the children typed their stories directly into the computer while the other half wrote their stories down on paper.  The results were actually pretty incredible.  The stories were critiqued and judged by a panel that didn't know what was up with the experiment.  Can you believe that in EVERY case, the stories that were handwritten were consistently  judged as being more creative and interesting - basically better stories overall?   The article went on in detail to discuss the brain-hand connection and how  important it is in terms of writing creatively.  I guess the same "connection" doesn't exist when a child types directly into the computer.  I did test this with different children I have worked with and found it to be true.  I'm not sure if the same brain-hand connection thing applies to adults like it does to children; however, I always remember the article and handwrite all of my own stuff before putting it into the computer.  I figure, every little advantage I give myself can't hurt, right?  I also find that I am unable to edit effectively on the computer.  I'm talking about the deeper, structural  stuff that goes beyond spell-check.  I always do my best work when I can scratch up a hard copy that I've printed out for myself.  Hope this helps!
All the best,
Vivian.

Offline glued

• OK here I am...for a while.
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2006, 11:09:17 PM »
Thanks Vivian,
That was very helpful. I have been using the laptop for writing, since in my line of work one is always around. So basically I was looking at ease of work rather than quality.
I have now shifted to longhand which I type later on. I have used the pointers given in this board. What I am initially experiencing is that though its harder work; but its giving me opportunity to rethink mentally on my story and also while i am typing. So the longhand stuff seems to be working for me.

Do you remember the pre e-mail days when we wrote letters or faxes. so much thought went into the written word and the grammar of our sentence. Nowadays we are in a hurry to press the send button. Its a reflex. Thanks for your help.

steve

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 12:24:57 PM »
I have usually made notes from research and ideas about a scene, on paper, then actually composed on the computer. My experience this morning has convinced me to change my ways. I must have accidently hit some function key, and lost two hours, four pages, of work. This has happened to me before, mostly on an email. From now on, I will write the first draft by hand, then write it up on the copmputer, maling any changes along the way. This appears to be the most efficient way to proceed.  You have to imagine how maddening it is to lose two hours of writing with one errant stroke. AAARRGGHH!

Nelodra

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 05:30:52 PM »
That's a really intresting find, Vivian, and I think I'm going to contemplate that for a while  ;)
I'm not sure how this would work out for me, though.
I have always done almost all of the writing in my head before sitting down and either entrusting it to paper or to the computer.
I even did that back in the days when I was still in school.
We usually knew when a writing assignment was up, and although we were never sure of what subjects and/or titles we were given to work on, I still always made up a story in my head the night before. In my bed, before I went to sleep.
Then, the next day, I would simply choose the title or subject that best fitted my story (we always were given 10 titels/subjects, so I had plenty of choice) and I would write away.
I always came out best in my class.
And htis is really how I still write today. MAking up the story in my head, usually at night, when in my bed and before drifting off to sleep. I won't write anything down, but the next day, I find that the words usually flow easily onto the paper or computer.
Today I wrote down a piece of dialogue whilst in town with my daughters, having a meal and a cup of tea at our favourite restaurant. Obviously I was simply using pen and paper; I don't go to town taking my laptop with me, way too heavy to carry around all the time.   

Offline bobby digital

• The present is a gift
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2006, 10:04:27 AM »
I'd have to say the computer. It allows you to edit with ease and not as damaging to the environment.
"Strive for what you believe in."

Dave Driver

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006, 07:50:35 AM »
I use pen and paper,tried using the computer a few times but it doesn`t work for me.

It might take longer, but I feel it`s more personnel and the ideas just flow page after page.

When it`s finished I have the endless task of typing up and printing off on the computer,aahhh!

Dave