Author Topic: Now you can self-publish on Kobo  (Read 7435 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Now you can self-publish on Kobo
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:20:41 AM »
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122530-kobo-writing-life-makes-it-easy-for-authors-to-publish-their-ebooks-in-just-five-steps

Kobo, one of the major rivals to Amazon in the eBook market, has simplified the process of self-publishing so that authors can make their digital books available in just five steps.

It has launched Kobo Writing Life, a website service that you can use to get your eBook carried in the Kobo store. The online WYSIWYG editor allows you to upload your manuscript, add a book cover, edit the automatically formatted text, choose a price and publish. The steps are easy to follow and should take no more than a few minutes if the text file doesn't require much editing. The final books will be published from 24 to 72 hours later.

On Kobo's self-publishing platform, authors earn 70 per cent on books priced between $1.99 and $12.99, you can also set the price of your book to free with no penalty or hidden costs. For any books that cost more or less than the accepted price range, authors will earn 45 per cent of each sale.

All published content appears in the EPUB format. Word, Open Office and Mobi file types are accepted.

"We built Kobo Writing Life by listening to what authors need and want in a self-publishing tool, and we continue to introduce improvements and updates based on their feedback," said Mark Lefebvre, director of Self-Publishing and Author Relations.

"Kobo is the only international eReading company to offer authors an open self-publishing service that is author-centric. We help them connect with a global community of Readers by making it as easy as possible to create, edit and publish their work."

The actual steps:
http://www.kobo.com/writinglife?utm_source=linkshare_uk&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=TnL5HPStwNw&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-Q3TBWXZmKM.Tm7Bi0EntNw

Offline ChrisHarrison

Re: Now you can self-publish on Kobo
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »
There doesn't seem to be any useful information anywhere on how to get an eISBN to publish on Kobo. The UK agency, Nielsen has nothing on their website and UK ISBNs are £126 for a minimum of ten numbers.

Offline The Dude Abides

• terrancebramblett.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 01:07:59 PM »
Sio, is there an advantage to publishing direct with Kobo? Smashwords uses them as a distribution channel along with Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, and some others. The last time I put a book out on Smashwords, they provided an ISBN free. I do not know how long that will last.
"Little red wagon
Little red bike
I ain’t no monkey but I know what I like"
                 Buckets of Rain, Bob Dylan

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
On the actual steps link: http://www.kobo.com/writinglife?utm_source=linkshare_uk&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=TnL5HPStwNw&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-Q3TBWXZmKM.Tm7Bi0EntNw  FAQ 7 states:

7. What is an eISBN and how do I get one?

An ISBN is a number that identifies books within the sales process; eISBNs are particular to eBooks. You can visit the International ISBN Agency to find the agency responsible for issuing ISBNs in your region. Once you’re in touch, they’ll set you up with an eISBN.

Beyond that -- I don't know ::) :-\

Offline ChrisHarrison

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »
That's what I did. I went to the International ISBN Agency, which redirected to the UK Agency, Nielsen, and there the trail went cold. No more mention of eISBN. So, unless someone else in the UK has done this, Smashwords may be the ISBN solution for Kobo.

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
Thanks for the info Chris. ;)

Offline ed

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 05:56:17 PM »
There doesn't seem to be any useful information anywhere on how to get an eISBN to publish on Kobo. The UK agency, Nielsen has nothing on their website and UK ISBNs are £126 for a minimum of ten numbers.

First off. You don't need an eISBN or an ISBN for kobo

I published on there direct. You can skip it. In fact Amazon and Kobo are the only places you dont need a number.

ibooks you do. ( and its not an eISBN its an ISBN ) and you can get one for $125 or free in canada

For amazon, smashwords, draft2digital etc you will need an EIN number that you can get for FREE over the phone in 10 mins from the USA and that is just to prevent them with holding tax money

Offline ed

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 05:59:53 PM »
Sio, is there an advantage to publishing direct with Kobo? Smashwords uses them as a distribution channel along with Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, and some others. The last time I put a book out on Smashwords, they provided an ISBN free. I do not know how long that will last.

Yes there is an advantage. You keep more of the money. ( smashwords is a 3rd party in between and they take 10% ) take that out and you have 10% more in your pocket. Also by going direct you dont have to wait for smashwords who are lazy and slow to get your stuff out there.

Now having said that if you use draft2digital you can be on barnes&noble in 24hrs. Thats how fast it was for me

I have gone through smashwords and draft2digital and they really only exist for FOLKS who are not in the USA and cannot publish direct.

You can go direct through amazon, kobo, itunes. But not sony or barnes&noble unless you are in the USA

Having said that ibooks is a pain in the ass i tried to get set up with them direct and got error messages. Got on the phone with them and they just send you in a loop. So i went through draft2digital for barnes and noble and ibooks.

Smashwords ISBN is just for there. So is createspace.

If you sell on ibooks you will need another one.

you dont need one for kobo or amazon

Offline ed

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »
Go read this if you are confused about iSBN or EISBN

http://www.sellbox.com/isbn-essentials-an-faq-for-ebook-publishers/