Author Topic: A short Grandaughter story.  (Read 863 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
A short Grandaughter story.
« on: October 05, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
Alma clearly has the pedant gene.  I'm not surprised because it's quite dominant in our clan, but I didn't expect to see it in a two year old.

She was sat in the back of the car, fiddling with the zip of her coat.  It's a jacket really, and will fit as such when she's about four, but she likes it - bright red things call to her - and sometimes wears it as a long coat now with the sleeves rolled up.

"Are you doing your coat up Alma?

"No, Mummy.  I'm trying to do it up."

Little Madam.  In some ways it's so much like seeing her mum all over again.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
Re: A short Grandaughter story.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:15:30 PM »
My sister, the kindergarten teacher, would love her. By the time she is five, she will be able to get dressed all by herself.

My sister will not help kids with zippers or ties or whatever and just keeps saying, "I don't dress kinderkids. You can do this." And she has given fair warning before it really gets cold so they know they need to prepare.

Knowing how to get the dang zipper started is a great lesson in life. Alma will go far, trying all the way.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:54:58 AM »
You'll have to watch what you say and how you say it around that little Miss  :D It's like hanging out with an English teacher.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:16:18 AM »
She has a good ear and a natural mimicry.   When she comes out with phrases she's heard in the car we can usually guess who she heard it from.

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:37:38 AM »
Luckily, Craig's diction left something to be desired and so, while in church and standing for a long period of time holding him in my arms, he began to chant "Shit, shit, shit" because my sister always said it in threes.

There was a pew of nuns directly behind us listening to this chorus.

I was mortified, but still able to think quickly and said is a loud enough voice for the nuns to hear, "No, honey, we can't sit yet." I don't know if they bought it or not. I like to think I covered for the little shit.

Little kids are damn parrots.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.