Author Topic: why would a person write about his past ?  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Neghe

Re: why would a person write about his past ?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
In MY MC past he loved a little girl and wanted to tell her stories so she could sleep but was never able to ,Could I use this

For what...as the reason he's been strangling children: so he can read them a bed-time story? Now that's some motivation.
“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline umair7

• I like to inquire, It's in my blood
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
I was talking from the perspective of the MC, His abusive past would make him vulnerable to people's mockery , People would only see him as a prostitute even though he was forced into it

fictionalizing would save him from this.

Offline bri h

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »
Most of my writing here is in memoir form. I try to take an amusing stance, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I write because it has to be written, both for me(catharsis) and hopefully for the people around me who may get a better understanding of who I am. I'm not ashamed of my past.(I didn't do anything), (it was done to me).
Should I be ashamed of writing about it?(like you're implying) Hell no!
IMO, your mc would want to shout out loud and tell everyone of his life. So let him. B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline umair7

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
For what...as the reason he's been strangling children: so he can read them a bed-time story? Now that's some motivation.

Nah he was never able to read her a story because of being illiterate, but now he could write it so wrote her story.

It sounded better in my head but it doesn't make any sense ,what should I do ?  

Offline umair7

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 01:37:51 PM »
your mc would want to shout out loud and tell everyone of his life. So let him. B

His past is like a fuel ,I need the right igniter.

Offline Neghe

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »
Most of my writing here is in memoir form. I try to take an amusing stance, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I write because it has to be written, both for me(catharsis) and hopefully for the people around me who may get a better understanding of who I am. I'm not ashamed of my past.(I didn't do anything), (it was done to me).
Should I be ashamed of writing about it?(like you're implying) Hell no!
IMO, your mc would want to shout out loud and tell everyone of his life. So let him. B

You know that old saying that everyone has a story to tell...?

That doesn't mean that they should be the ones to write it. :-)

Offline bri h

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »

You know that old saying that everyone has a story to tell...?

That doesn't mean that they should be the ones to write it. :-)

Interesting viewpoint Neghe. Who should then? Are you going to write the various stories of my life for me? Whoopee. ha ha. I'm goin fishin Neg, let me know when it's finished. ha ha. B

Offline Neghe

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »

That was funny folks. :-|

But I was pointing right at a problem with the way many people stumble over in writing fiction. Plot is always easy. It's the human equation that gets everything all tangled up into a giant mess. People notice that there is something missing in their story so they start adding more plot...wrong.  The missing substance is human interaction/complication/interference/selfish actions...whatever.

See how simple a plot like...this guy is raised in prostitution (and all the abuse that that lintels) then there is this one prefect moment in time--that was interrupted (the almost simple act of reading a child to sleep) now that becomes not only a shining moment of things that could have been but also, an example of everything that is wrong with his life--or life in general--so he recreates this perfect moment over and over...is.

See...simple plot, major possibilities for human complications.  

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 02:11:07 PM by Neghe »

Offline umair7

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
guys concentrate on the problem

Offline bri h

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »
guys concentrate on the problem

Remind me again what the problem is? I thought we'd answered it. B

Offline Neghe

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 02:02:18 PM »
Interesting viewpoint Neghe. Who should then? Are you going to write the various stories of my life for me? Whoopee. ha ha. I'm goin fishin Neg, let me know when it's finished. ha ha. B

:-D I'm saying that you should write stories--and let your personal experiences guide the way you handle the way your chanters see/act/think/feel about the situations they find themselves in.

Offline umair7

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »
What is the trigger that forces him to write

Your answer was too vague "Yeah every story is waiting to be told"

You know why I started writing in my country there are two types of education boards ,One local and one foreign
I studied at the foreign board and when I was about to enter university ,the entry test was from local board in every fucking university ,
My education simply saying fucked me ,that was my trigger to writing

Offline bri h

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 02:05:05 PM »
Ah I see, then I will. Dammit!(puts the fishing gear away and gets back to the typing). Good thread btw. B

Offline bri h

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »
What is the trigger that forces him to write

Your answer was too vague "Yeah every story is waiting to be told"

You know why I started writing in my country there are two types of education boards ,One local and one foreign
I studied at the foreign board and when I was about to enter university ,the entry test was from local board in every fucking university ,
My education simply saying fucked me ,that was my trigger to writing

Wanna know something? I actually thought I was good at written English, Oral and grammar till I came here to mwc and found out how bad I really was. I too lacked proper education. Once I found out my problem here, and was shown the correct way(Shvon, Hilly, Wolfe, Alice, Dawn, and Ma . . . the list is quite a long one) that's when the real writing started. I still reckon that the best thing I've done for ages, was to come here. Start writing. Get it done, worry about whether you shoulda written it, AFTER it's written. B

Offline LRSuda

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Augustin Burroughs took his traumatic past and turned it into several novels, one of which was made into the movie Running With Scissors and based on the book of the same name. (The book was better.  ;))

Anyway, it could be you're getting too hung up on why your character writes about his past. Everyone who does so has different reasons. I don't think "why" even should be explained. It can too easily come off as talking down to readers. Trust them to come up with their own reasons why. They will.