Author Topic: So What's 'Fooling Around'?  (Read 2877 times)

Offline 2par

So What's 'Fooling Around'?
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »
Do you find yourself writing things that aren't at the top of your list?
There are certain things I want to write, but do I work on them? No, I do all kinds of other little things. I sometimes tell myself it's "practice" and that I haven't reached my first 100,000 yet. But I do think I'm way past that...more like 1 mil., or 2 or 3.
Is it fear? Is it a lack of confidence? Is it a surety that they won't work out anyways?

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
Re: So What's 'Fooling Around'?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »
I'm going to move this over to, 'The Writer's Circle' board that might open this up for a chat.

EDIT: Okay I'm back.

Start today. Open a document and type, 'Chapter One' at the top. If what you write isn't what you wanted, you still have as many rewrites and adjustments as you want. "You can do it!"  ;D

I've been working on my story for over six years. I'm going over each chapter one more time before I shuttle that chapter over to the gracious friend who agreed to beta my story. Gotta tell you I'm encouraged that she is only finding about ten or less adjustments that need to be made out of each chapter (average length 4,000 words)

For motivation I've added my progress to my signature line like some of the others did for a writing competition.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:29:45 PM by Skip Slocum »

Offline 2par

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Skip, and for the move. I was confused about where to put this...silly me.

Offline Skip Slocum

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
 ;D

Offline Dean

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Yes, yes, a hundred times yes. I was thinking of making a similar thread.

I'm forever deciding to start new side-projects for "practice" or to "keep things interesting". Then, when I don't invest the same amount of time and effort in to my "practice" stories as I would in to a "serious" one, I end up feeling like a complete hack!

Offline 2par

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Yes! 

Offline Skip Slocum

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »
Here's an idea, set a goal of one hour a day for two full weeks on taking notes and building a game plan, outline. In addition to this daily one hour, the last twenty minutes of your day before trying to sleep, you do nothing but focus on your story's base-line travel. Aka -- my characters will start here and go to here. etc.  ;D Yes!  ;D ;D

Offline 2par

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 05:26:10 PM »
Ok, having something specific to focus on might do it. I know what I want to happen at the end - I even wrote a short short piece on it - but it isn't fully formed yet. I could start working on that. One hour, you say. ok.

Offline intercat

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
"Is it fear? Is it a lack of confidence? Is it a surety that they won't work out anyways?"

all of the above, for me.  it's so much easier to work on something that i'm not as committed to, because it's like it's "allowed" to be bad, if that's how it turns out.  if i'm working on something i care more about, even though consciously i know that it'll probably at best be rough at the outset, and that's totally fine, it's still harder to accept that.

one hour, go go!  good luck :)

Offline 2par

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 05:30:08 PM »
Intercat, you hit the button on the nose.
Okay...folks, you are all so encouraging. I don't want to disappoint you, so I'm determined to put an effort into it.

Offline Skip Slocum

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 05:33:25 PM »
For me it was all of what you said. But we also have to remember that this idea, this story line will grow and morph and layer and as more characters come to life in your imagination, this story will not be what you first imagined. And yet I'd bet you'll be happier with what it grows into. Yes Maybe?  ;D

EDIT: P.S.  And when you feel the need to set your project to the side while you, ah... say while you're working on dialogue, tell yourself, 'I'm letting it simmer' I haven't quit. 
But keep thinking and poking at it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 05:39:41 PM by Skip Slocum »

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
Is it fear? Is it a lack of confidence? Is it a surety that they won't work out anyways?

In part, yes. Each of these stems from the simple fact that you haven't given yourself permission to succeed at your craft. Simple to say--not quite so simple to execute. Praise makes us feel good but it does nothing to add to our skill set. Publication is the highest form of praise. Your work deserves it, so embrace it.

Does that mean you'll have something published next week? Um, no. What it does mean is that you've taken publication out of the fairy tale realm (where it's a constant distraction) and put it in the same place where your rough drafts and story ideas exist. With enough persistence, publication and something you wrote will get together and you'll get a day off. In the interim, get to work.  :)

Don -
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline Neghe

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
Write whatever it is that is happening at the moment: and use the subjects you want to write about as theme material. Allow the characters and stories to grow as one and take over your writing life. Be the faithful scribe, that allows a well placed moral or cautionary line to merge with the story from time to time.   
“Poetry is what happens when nothing else can.”― Charles Bukowski

Offline 2par

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »
Oh, I want to go away where life won't interfere.

Offline 2par

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 09:18:12 PM »
write ... in the moment. Great phrase. I have to keep that in mind, because I tend to be distracted by all that comes before and after - in my own mind.