Author Topic: You just have to be there. (You can't write by remote control.)  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
This is about writing, despite the opening.

I've just emerged from a few rough weeks health wise, and found my energy coming back.  Which, paradoxically, is why I've not been so active on here recently apart from a few games.  Well, today the sun is shining and I could be out in the woods listening to bird song and answering the call of the wild which grabbed me by the throat last night as I stood on the doorstep for a few minutes around midnight before locking up.  But I'm not.

Why?

Because late last night for a couple of hours and most of the time since I got today I've been remembering - and putting into action -   the essential truth of writing.  Its been told so often that we all know it, but sometimes forget.  We allow ourselves the gentle fiction of 'writing related activities'.  But they're not writing, are they?

The following may not be entirely perfect quotes, but they capture the essence.

"Many people fail to recognise opportunity because it turns up wearing overalls and looks like hard work. "  Mark Twain, I think.

"90% of success consists of merely turning up for work."

And in the August issue Writing Magazine there's an article by Rebecca Woodhead, Are you a malnourished writer? in which she kicks a few sacred cows and half-arsed excuses to death.  Well worth turning to if you subscribe.

I'm taking the liberty of quoting two sentences exactly as they appear in the article.

'The problem with writing is that you need to be present for it.  While you are doing this, you cannot do other things.  (My italics.)

Exactly ;-)

Rebecca has a rather useful website, but if I told you where to go and look at it you wouldn't be writing, would you?

Gyppo

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:03:13 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
Re: You just have to be there. (You can't write by remote control.)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »
 ;D

Offline thatollie

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:03:02 PM »
So true. I really should write something. But first, I'm going to go fry some onions.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Dean

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »
At the moment I'm designing all the characters and settings and conducting the research for two sci-fi stories, one a novel and one a short. I definitely just want to get in to it, but I just can't write if I haven't meticulously planned first!

Offline 2par

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:45:38 PM »
Dear Gyppo, I hope you're feeling much better.

Now, I have to go take a nap.

Offline cswillson

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:01:22 AM »

"90% of success consists of merely turning up for work."

A variation on this which haunts me continuously (stupid adverb!) is: "Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration."
C.S.

FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO

Offline Svader

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »
I have to force myself to step away from the computer and get to writing. Which I should be doing right now!
My blog. http://stefanivader.WordPress.com

WIP:  Mafia Mayhem 17,000/22,000

Offline CPlumb

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:33:05 PM »
Okay, okay!
I'm going to go write.

But when I get back, I wanna see that link to Rebecca's website. For research purposes, of course!  :D

Found it. Looks interesting.
(But if I link it, you'd be reading, and not writing. Back to Work! Tote that mouse, hammer those keys! {insert whipcrack sound here})  :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:11:03 AM by CPlumb »

Offline The Skald

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »
I have to force myself to step away from the computer and get to writing. Which I should be doing right now!
Quick tip: Look behind your computer. See the small cable leading to/from your router? Pull it out. There goes the internet, and here comes productivity. ;)

(unless you use a wireless network, in which case, switch off the router if you can and sit in another room, so you won't be tempted to switch it back on.) If someone else needs the router, ask to switch it off two hours. It's not much, but you can get a heck of a lot of work done. Trust me. ;)

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 11:25:40 AM »
I can waste time by more than just Internet activities. I do waste time by more than just Internet activities.

I should be writing. I should be writing more. I don't get paid to write and I don't get paid to goof off, so I have to decide if I want to not get paid for doing one thing I love as opposed to doing something else that I love.

It's not easy to be a recreational writing and it is way too hard to write a query letter for me to spend my time doing that when I could be doing any number of other things, useful or useless.

I understand the concept, but for every quote there is an equal and opposite quote.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. I have no idea who said it and I do know how to look it up. But I will leave that to the OCDers out there.

Gyp, I thought your first quote was from Thomas Edison and not Mark Twain, but I'm not looking that up, either.  ::)
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Jo Bannister

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 11:41:31 AM »
Not my words of wisdom, but words of wisdom nonetheless:

Thinking about writing is not writing.  Talking about writing is not writing.  Even writing about writing is not writing.  Only writing is writing.

I wish I was better at following good advice!

Offline ed

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »
Great post Gyppo

That is how I got my 2nd novel done.

Now i'm moving on to my 3rd. Keep on trucking