Author Topic: Spaces after a full stop  (Read 1809 times)

Lin

Spaces after a full stop
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »
Having come from the "old school" of typing where you learned to touch type under a sheet of paper covering the keyboard and typing to music, ('OMG' I hear you younger ones  say 'how archaic') I was taught at typing school to leave three spaces after a full stop and I have wondered for some time if this is correct because I have heard otherwise.   Are there any 'rules' about this in the modern world of typing text.  I have always left three spaces.

Just something I have been meaning to ask for a long time!!

Lin

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
Re: Spaces after a full stop
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 10:36:26 AM »
I was off the 'two spaces after full stop and colon; one space after commas, semi-colons ...'

However, in the modern world, the official stance is now ONE SPACE after all punctuation ... though, if you're an aul' wan like me, you'll find this very difficult to get used to!!!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 10:39:50 AM by Symphony »

SuzieHarris

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 10:38:59 AM »
I'm with Amanda on this. I learned two spaces, but having recently studied with Chapterhouse it's now officially ONE space.

The rules of grammar change more often than the wind direction!

Suzie

Lin

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 10:44:38 AM »
OMG I am so behind the times!!

Well Ill just click on changes and change it all, if I can find the place to do it.

Lin

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 06:27:25 AM »
Global replace of double space bars works quite well, Lin. Good luck.

Sometimes I find that it takes a week to write a story and then three to FORMAT IT!!! It can be a real pain sometimes, can't it?

:D