Author Topic: Pungent Memory  (Read 24030 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: Pungent Memory
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 03:32:31 AM »
So -- is it okay as it was revised  . . . unique and intense? ???

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 04:15:28 AM »
As you know 510, I am not big into poetry but I did so enjoy reading this, well done.  ;)

Unique and intense doesn't have the same pull to me.

There is in no way anything racist about what was initially written so let that go mate.

Dark, rich, intense really pulls my senses in, I love it.  :D
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline heidi52

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »
I second FF on this. Dark, rich, intense - that's good coffee. I can smell it.

"Unique and intense" could be anything.

Don't let anyone bully you into changing it just because they read something that wasn't there.
Talk about bias.  ::)

Offline AntonioM

• I am all that is myself
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »
If you think the "essence of Africa" can be incapsulated in a can of coffee beans of any variety, you're ignorant as Hell. Look at the big picture, bullying is having a gang of moderators and hero members attack an opinion without ever addressing the issue being raised or offering anything new to the discussion but their rubberstamp of approval for offensive/not offensive writing; instead zeroing in on the term "racist." NB I only ever mentioned the potential for this misreading, anyhow. Coffee smells bitter, fresh, rich, or dark roasted- it cannot smell dark!

510, thank you for making the change (well before I even raised the issue).
ARM

Offline indar

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
This thread is a fine example of the kind of dialogue that, ironically, can develop over an attempt to find ways for people to be more respectful of one another that was initiated years ago. I remember the results of a study as it was reported on NPR. The study found that the language we use affects the way we think far more than the way we think affects the language we use. When the men refer to the competent mature women they work with in the office as the "girls" it diminishes those women in the eyes of both the men and women.
After that study there were guidelines and a lot of discussion over what can be done about language---firemen and firewomen? firepeople? Some of what ensued entered the realm of the ridiculous to be sure but it has been a worthy effort on the whole I think. But remember what it is about---showing respect to one another not bludgeoning someone over and over to force them to your particular view.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:58:33 PM by indar »

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 02:56:53 PM »
The cultural boundary makes this a somewhat difficult read for me. "[E]ssence of Africa"in a bean can seems too extremely miopic (verging on racist) JMO

ARM

later when freeze-dried
beans, Kenyan I believe it said on the  label,
captured the essence of Africa
in dark, rich, intense unique flavour.

Now this is how it reads to me in simple terms and not poetic. Freeze dried beans, capturing the essence of Africa, dark and rich in flavour. (To me the dark is referring to the actual bean, nothing more than that.)

Armielak, it is against MWC rules to call people names. Please refrain from doing this. Calling people ignorant because they don't share your opinion is ludicrous.

Everyone has the right to agree/disagree and if it's not what you want to hear well that's what it is, an opinion.  What imagery captures one persons imagination may be different to others.

bullying is having a gang of moderators and hero members attack an opinion

Goodness me, we obviously don't read the same way mate, Bullying is picking on someone not an opinion. :o

Words on a board are exactly that because we can't see the person, people can only answer to the actual words as they are written. In fact your comment above if you were first coming on from this page could be taken as because of cultural differences you feel offended. Coupled with your last sentence well you then get conclusions jumped too. ;)

I know you explained this later, but can you see where misunderstandings can occur.

Offline heidi52

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »
Dark Chocolate
Dark Roast Coffee

And many more things can be sensory pleasures without having any geopolitical agenda. You say yourself; coffee can smell dark.

I get it. You don't like anything that can be possibly construed as racist. That's why you spoke up.
Good for you, but I bet you find it everywhere if your bandwidth is wide enough.

I don't like things that smack of censorship. That's why I spoke up.

Insisting a writer change a creative work because of something that MAYBE could be taken the wrong way by someone looking for that kind of thing, to me, is the height of ignorance. But that's just my opinion.

Everybody's got one.  8)

If you think the "essence of Africa" can be incapsulated in a can of coffee beans of any variety, you're ignorant as Hell. Look at the big picture, bullying is having a gang of moderators and hero members attack an opinion without ever addressing the issue being raised or offering anything new to the discussion but their rubberstamp of approval for offensive/not offensive writing; instead zeroing in on the term "racist." NB I only ever mentioned the potential for this misreading, anyhow. Coffee smells bitter, fresh, rich, or dark roasted- it cannot smell dark!

510, thank you for making the change (well before I even raised the issue).