Author Topic: How do you revise your pieces?  (Read 8490 times)

Offline Dean

How do you revise your pieces?
« on: June 01, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
How do you know what to edit when writing? Do you leave it a day while thinking it over? Do you write various alternative versions of the same chapter/events? Feedback here is helpful, of course, but there's only so much you can reasonably expect!

Offline 2par

Re: How do you revise your pieces?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:57:53 PM »
I mostly self edit as I write. Then, I'll go back after a page or two and re-edit. When the thing is done, I'll leave it alone for awhile. Then go back and rewrite.
If it's a long piece and I have to leave it for awhile before coming back to it, I always reread everything, right from the start no matter how long it is. It's amazing how much you can catch by rereading with a fresh mind. Then I'll rewrite.
Sometimes, if I don't have much time, I'll just self edit as I go along and toss it wherever.

Offline bri h

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 03:22:26 PM »
I'm the same as Toop. I edit as I write, then when finished I go back and re-read it through to see if any escaped. Then I leave it for a while then re-read it again. B
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 03:30:08 PM »
I recently took part in Script Fever and turned a novel into a screenplay . . . it really showed what were the essential scenes and what was probably fluff -- well-written enough but not essential to driving the plot forward. That helped. I've just cut around 8k from the ms. :o

Offline 2par

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
bhan, that's a really good idea. When you find yourself stuck or lose your way, change your piece into some other genre. It may give you more help than you suspected.
What do you plan on doing with it now, bhan?Will you improve your novel or the screeplay?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:44:26 PM by 2par »

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »
It's also a reason why I hang out in the Poetry Boards ;) Some great inspiration there from beautifully condensed expression.

Offline bri h

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »
totally agree. xbx
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Jo Bannister

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 04:39:16 AM »
I edit as I go along.  I edit any time I get stuck.  After I finish a first draft, I put it aside for a fortnight then edit it.  Then I edit it again, and again, and probably again.  I only stop editing it when I find myself putting back things I took out in a previous edit!  By and large I over-write: put in more than the story needs or wants to propel it forward.  Typically, I take out about ten percent between finishing the first draft and sending it to my agent.

Pale Writer

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:09:32 AM »
I look at the pieces after from the mc's pov, rather than how I as the writer viewed at conception. If there are multi-players, I make sure that their individual views remain in the forefront. Then I smooth out their edges.

hillwalker3000

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
What I write today - often long-hand on paper - I read through again tomorrow, editing as I type it up onto my laptop. This helps me maintain the same 'voice' if I'm continuing with a longer piece.

I then let it lie two or three weeks before reading through and editing again. It's surprising how different something looks after being laid aside for a time.

H3K

Offline Dean

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »
What I write today - often long-hand on paper - I read through again tomorrow, editing as I type it up onto my laptop. This helps me maintain the same 'voice' if I'm continuing with a longer piece.

I then let it lie two or three weeks before reading through and editing again. It's surprising how different something looks after being laid aside for a time.

H3K

Could you please elaborate on what you mean here?

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
The 'voice' is just that -- the tone, the sound, the timbre of the piece relative to the characters and the story. Depending on what you write and what you're trying to achieve there will be nuances of difference even from the same author. ;)

hillwalker3000

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
At the moment I'm working on a novel set in Mississippi and another set in Scotland. The characters and narrator sound completely different in each, for obvious reasons. So it helps me if I read the last part I wrote before continuing with the next to keep the 'voice', tone and pace consistent.

H

Offline WordBird

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »
I edit/revise in a variety of ways. I tend to edit while I write for spelling, word choice, sentence structure, etc. But once I'm done with a piece I let it sit for a while. Then I come back to it and do a complete overhaul for a "here's what I meant to say."

Creativity has a tendency to strike me in the same variety. Either an idea comes forth faster than I can type it, or it strikes more in the form of just that: an idea that I have to work to flesh out. The former is something that is darn near as perfect as I can get the first time; the latter is something where the final draft seldom looks anything near the first.

As you will find with much of the advice on the forums here, as a writer you will have to find your own style with a lot of different components to the writing process. And revising is one of those.  :)

Best,
WB

Offline cswillson

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 09:46:46 PM »
Constantly.
C.S.

FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO