Author Topic: Constructive and destructive criticism (again)  (Read 3633 times)

Offline bri h

Re: Constructive and destructive criticism (again)
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »
If you read back in my post, you'll see I was discreet enough not to mention names. I don't have ANY problems with EITHER of you. I did then, briefly, but not now. And especially not you Dawn.
I don't bear grudges, they waste time, and nothing gets resolved. I only mentioned how I felt at the time. How can what I said be deemed 'a hi-jack?'
I'm a would-be-writer
I (felt) I was verbally-abused.

Relevant to the thread. IMO. 
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 07:34:05 PM »
Because this is about critiquing not about if a mod is doing things correctly.

This isn't personal, Brian, but you do obviously still have issues unresolved hence why I said you should speak to Nick or a mod about it. Airing it on this thread is not the right thing to do IMO.

Perhaps, it is also worth pointing out that Industry professionals come on this forum all the time.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:36:25 PM by Dawn »
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline bri h

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »
"They ain't lookin at me kid!"
What would they want with a wagon-driving-wannabee? B

Offline protekme

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »
There is a difference between having thick skin and receiving a personal attack Pro.  ;)

You can give a critique without belittling the author, that's all we ask.

I understand, and I'm also glad that the mods are interfering. I was in the dark as well about personal attack. I felt harsh, disrespectful critiques going on though, and I received some of it. I'm not saying that it is acceptable because I can take it, but that I feel sorry for the ones who can't and left because of it.

-- People are usually more convinced by reasons they discovered themselves than by those found by others 
-- I have made this letter longer than usual only because I had no time to make it shorter
              Blaise Pascal

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
Nick, thank you for pointing out the difference. Timely reminders are always a plus.

I doubt there is anyone here who can claim to have been unaware, but even the best of us have to be slapped upside the head with the obvious on occasion.

Don -
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 03:34:17 AM »
I have had some harsh crits in my time here: Yamrus, and Eric, for example, have ripped pieces to bits BUT there were never any personal attacks. THAT is what this is about!
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline protekme

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »
I have had some harsh crits in my time here: Yamrus, and Eric, for example, have ripped pieces to bits BUT there were never any personal attacks. THAT is what this is about!

Is it a personal attack when someone says: you'll never get published. Your piece is boring and will not attract any readers.

I take it as an opinion and discard it, but someone who takes it and gets hurt and leaves the forum because his self confidence is shut, is he wrong?
-- People are usually more convinced by reasons they discovered themselves than by those found by others 
-- I have made this letter longer than usual only because I had no time to make it shorter
              Blaise Pascal

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
Peeps this thread is going round and round. We should now all understand the meaning of a constructive critique. Let's just leave it there shall we?

Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline Vienna

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 02:06:38 PM »
Is it a personal attack when someone says: you'll never get published. Your piece is boring and will not attract any readers.

I take it as an opinion and discard it, but someone who takes it and gets hurt and leaves the forum because his self confidence is shut, is he wrong?

it is a personal attack when I mentioned that I had written something while my young lad was sitting on my knee and the comment was " looks like you were breastfeeding when you typed this" Or because I had typed it quickly (Typos, mistakes)  the comment was " I am surprised that you are an english teacher"

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline protekme

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »
it is a personal attack when I mentioned that I had written something while my young lad was sitting on my knee and the comment was " looks like you were breastfeeding when you typed this" Or because I had typed it quickly (Typos, mistakes)  the comment was " I am surprised that you are an english teacher"

I understand. 
              Blaise Pascal

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
Oh my gawd. :o

Listen guys, you all have had issues we understand that. Some were reported, most were not. Mods step in on reports or if we come across contentious situations.

Most times the person complained about is contacted behind scenes, but sometimes it spills on the boards. Now I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to spend another night looking into reams of posts to gather proof from the he said/ she said game. Last night was quite enough. ::)

Lets just remember nobody is perfect on here. We all have our off days.  

Bottom line is if you feel you are being attacked contact a mod.
If you feel one of the mods is out of line contact another mod or Nick.

If you think the mods can dive through cyber space and give you a slap through your screen contact Space station zero.  :o Though it might be worth getting the techies working on it. >:D

Offline Vienna

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »
oreet I am contacting a Mod now!

Lock it eh?

Offline bri h

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »
If you think the mods can dive through cyber space and give you a slap through your screen contact Space station zero.  Shocked Though it might be worth getting the techies working on it.

;D ;D

Be careful drivin thru Lee' s Ma. I'm back driving the wagons again and I have a good aim.

;D ;D

Offline 2par

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »
I guess some people are more disturbed by this issue than others. I just think we ought to calm down and trust each other from now on and stop looking for revenge. This is a nice site. We're very much like family here. Let's let bygones be bygones so that we can forgive and forget.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
What a nice comment and on that note I am locking this thread rather than it doing another circle.  :).