Author Topic: Need help reading some old writing  (Read 8340 times)

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
Re: Need help reading some old writing
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:18:41 AM »
I agree with, Wolfe. They have made a mistake and someone has had to sign for it. Looks like the murder above.
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
I believe the word is murder . . . just misspelled from either weariness or maybe something as sloppy as alcohol.

Well Wolfe and Dawn, that could be but the numbers of people involved seems odd for a murder. Usually there is only one person charged. Everything you mentioned makes sense, but too many people involved and that confuses me. Also the middle letter goes below the "line," but that could also be an error based on Alice's input.

I will probably go back today or next week and either get copies of that jailers log, or take pictures of the pertinent pages. Maybe more writing and looking closer at the log might help.

I'll post some more writing, or the solution when I have it. I'm doing a lot of research on this town and maybe something will come up elsewhere.

Thanks everyone, and eventually I should know for sure.  :-\ :-\

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »
Maybe it's a shortened form of "Manslaughter"? Just a thought.
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 09:45:25 AM »
Maybe it's a shortened form of "Manslaughter"? Just a thought.

That could explain the one letter that goes below the "line."

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49:20 AM »
I'd plump for murder, manslaughter or malice. What is curious is why there is a signature beside these ones.

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:28 AM »
What is curious is why there is a signature beside these ones.

It could be the signature of the person who was doing the booking, or as Wolfe suggested, a correction with the correctors name. It is unique amongst all the entries I saw. It isn't the sheriff's signature and no idea who the person is. I will eventually find out though, because I'm researching all the people in town the best I can. At least those who appear in some significant way, business owners, criminals, workers, etc.

Offline Dawn

• Dawn
  • 'Kinky boobs? Really, well I never.'
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
Okay, Bill had another look and did some googling (just can't help myself lol)

Could it be Mayhem?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misdemeanors
Time to take it serious and get the job done

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
Could it be Mayhem?

That would fit, except the last letter seems to be a "d," based on other entries. Might be the best guess so far. I can see a dozen people brought in for all kinds of mayhem. Maybe there is another derivative of "mayhem," that ends in a "d?"

Offline Laura H

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
I have a suggestion, but first can you tell me what city/county/township this was?

Edit - location doesn't matter.

I consulted a friend in law enforcement, and he said someone was being lazy or in a hurry (as Wolfe also suggested) and abbreviated murder in the first degree.

Sounds like a violent night wherever it was.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:57:57 AM by Laura H »
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
I consulted a friend in law enforcement, and he said someone was being lazy or in a hurry (as Wolfe also suggested) and abbreviated murder in the first degree.

Thanks Laura. I was just thinking of the same thing, asking someone in law enforcement.  ;)

However I'm not sure of the "murder in the first degree," because I'm not sure they went into that detail back then. . . at least for bookings. The previous listings only say "murder."  The records were from the 1870's.

If there were around a dozen arrests with Chinese names (I think), then I'm thinking it could be for a raid on a cathouse. However I can't think of a charge that would be written as such.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
Yes, I see your point.  It sure looks like M R F S D to me once I was given the suggestion.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

Offline wanderer

• Western Wood Artist
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »
It sure looks like M R F S D to me once I was given the suggestion.

Yes it does and that is another thing I didn't think about, abbreviations.

Offline Laura H

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
Yes, my friend suggested that's just what it is.

Wolfe

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 01:39:33 PM »
Well Wolfe and Dawn, that could be but the numbers of people involved seems odd for a murder. Usually there is only one person charged. Everything you mentioned makes sense, but too many people involved and that confuses me.

That's because you're thinking like a modern, open-minded person. Keep in mind, back in the day, if the police didn't know who did a crime, they tended to round up everyone and charge them for it. This was especially true if the potential crime involved minorities and people of color.

Once the 'real' guilty party was found, the charges on the others would be dropped . . . eventually.

You can see this in action during the Civil Rights Movement in the United States. The police rounded everyone up, did all kind of unimaginable things to those people, and then, maybe, they released them without further charges.

Of course, it could be gang-related like I said before and/or retaliation for various reasons. But, I've already stated as much. Really, it's murder. Someone got sloppy in the brain, and you couldn't erase it. And, for those types of logs, you needed to initial errors.

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 02:07:03 PM »
Whatever that word is, note the hash marks below it, indicating a second count of that crime. Maybe?