Author Topic: Forget road rage. How about Book Rage.  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
Forget road rage. How about Book Rage.
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:56:16 PM »
Found in the paper archives today and dusted off.  (And believe me, it really was dusty.

I was having dinner in the park today and reading a book.  Why is it that whenever you have a book in your hand everyone assumes you have nothing better to do and tries to engage you in conversation?  Everybody - and his bloody dog - stops to pass the time of day, ask the way, or ask for a light, or just make a general nuisance of themselves.  My answer to 'light' requests really confuses them.  "Sorry, mate, I'm just as much in the dark as you are."

We British are justifiably famous for minding our own business - or at least appearing to do so - but the sight of an open book triggers veritable gushers of verbal diarrhoea in otherwise inoffensive passers- by.  People who would normally make a Trappist monk seem gabby suddenly start to babble like an auctioneer on Speed.

I think I'm going to make a flag which reads 'Piss Off.  I'm reading from choice and nothing you can say will enhance the experience or be of any possible interest to me.'

But in my inner heart I know what will happen.

"Hello, Mate.  I see you like reading.  What's it about then?"

I wonder if the courts would accept 'Book rage' as sufficient grounds for justifiable manslaughter.

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
Re: Forget road rage. How about Book Rage.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant and I know just what you mean too.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:36:21 PM »
I've experienced much the same thing when I choose to read in a public or even semi-public place.

With nothing more to say than "What's you reading?" people will interrupt just to interrupt. They don't have anything to say in reality.

I've often been tempted to answer "A book. When was the last time you read one?"  So far, I haven't. But with age I'm becoming less tolerant with the inane.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline 2par

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »
haha, oh alice, i get the "age" thing.  when you're young and say or do something that people would rather you didn't, you're tagged the dumb kid or reminded of manners, etc.   but when you're older and you do or say something that would be  unacceptable in a young person, then they will say, "oh, don't mind her.  she's just eccentric," and go off laughing.

Offline jkaram

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:59:38 PM »
Funny, my child used to do this whenever I would sit still for anything! Fun read (verbal diarrea)!  :D

Offline James Josiah

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »

My ex wife used to consider me burying myself in a book as rude, woe betide you if you dare speak during the three hours of soaps she watched a day mind ....

And I take it we have all seen this (contains some swearing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwkdGr9JYmE

Offline bri h

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
Thanks for the blue-linky JJ. BH was/is brilliant and still one of my favourite stand-up comedians. Love his mimicry of Jack Palance, "Pick up the gunn!" heh heh
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline James Josiah

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:28:40 AM »

"I don't wanna pick it up Mister,  you'll shoot me"

I love Hicks, was way too young at the time but to still be relevant now is a testament to his power.

Offline bri h

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 03:00:16 AM »
Squinted eyes . . .  . . . long . . . pause . . .

"Pick up . . .  . . . the gunn."

Eyes flick down fleetingly to the gun, and back up to the gunman . . . Down to the gun and back to the gunman . . .

Offline thatollie

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »
Excellent Post, Gyp.

Also . . .

You all saw it, he had a gun.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline bri h

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
Brilliant. We should start a new topic: All the things Bill Hicks said. "We're Christians and we didn't like what you said there, Hicks!"
"Oh yeah? Then forgive me."

Love it. Now there was a man who used his pent-up rage to his own advantage. He made a career out of bein an angry young man. RIP.

Offline James Josiah

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:02:21 PM »
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

Offline bri h

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 01:04:28 PM »
And we're back to topic . . . I remember a joke from someone in the 70's. "Er? Excuse me, are you reading that paper you're sitting on?" heh heh

Offline sune

• is there true love for real
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 06:55:45 PM »

I think I'm going to make a flag which reads 'Piss Off.  I'm reading from choice and nothing you can say will enhance the experience or be of any possible interest to me.'

But in my inner heart I know what will happen.

"Hello, Mate.  I see you like reading.  What's it about then?"

I wonder if the courts would accept 'Book rage' as sufficient grounds for justifiable manslaughter.

Gyppo

You really cracked me up so hard..and I really know what you mean.. ;) ;D

I consider that as a obvious human reaction for serenity..!
Mostly I find a place in the bush, park or beach  where no one even see me or can't be bothered to come near..
So that I can keep my repose in-tact..

Try that method Gyppo....You won't get absorbing treasured moments in a busy park..!! ???  ;)