Author Topic: Does (self) publishing lead to paranoia?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline mfarraday

Does (self) publishing lead to paranoia?
« on: April 21, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
I am writing a novella right now. It won't be done for quite a while, since I anticipate rewriting it. I put two stories together, and it's a rough fit, so it practically begs to be rewritten from scratch. But I need to get a first draft done... then another draft, then perhaps yet another. Who knows? And if I could get it edited professionally, and then get some cover art, well then I'd love to self publish it, eventually.

Which brings me to my question. I watch how other authors sometimes behave, especially on Twitter. Rampant spamming ads for their book, fighting with reviewers, claiming other authors created Goodreads/Amazon accounts just to give a 1 star review, anonymously. Exacting revenge on readers who gave a balanced review - anything below 4 stars - by finding out if that person is also a writer, and 'returning the favor.' Not to mention, exchanging a 5 star review for a 5 star review, agreeing to buy each other's books, etc.

It really bothers me. I don't know if I really want to expose myself to it. Am I just worrying too much? I do worry a lot.

I am not sure I can cope in a cutthroat atmosphere. I would rather publish under a pseudonym and then forget all about my book. I don't want to slide into some paranoid world where everyone seems out to get me. I was in the hospital in 2011 for a stress related illness. I don't want to get so stressed out about a book that I end up involved in this type of behavior.

Do bad reviews really bother people so much that they have to act this way?

Ugh sorry for all the insecurity, and whining. It just bothers me to see how people act sometimes.
Thinking back on old days...

Offline Dustin91

Re: Does (self) publishing lead to paranoia?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »
This topic sheds some light on my own insecurities in regard to publishing. I think what we need to worry about first is the ominous task of completing a piece we think is good. Worry about publishing when you come to it. As of right now you're worrying about whether or not you're going to worry, which is unhealthy for a writer. Sorry for not being able to clear up the publishing process, but I think you should set smaller goals and knock em down one at a time.

Good luck,
Dustin