Author Topic: Copywriting Question  (Read 1594 times)

Offline WritersWrite

• View Profile
Copywriting Question
« on: February 06, 2006, 10:07:12 AM »
I have been asked to do some copywriting for a company. Although I am a writer (working on my own private projects) I have never been 'hired to write' and have no clue what the market rate is??

Is there a difference in fee for writing copy from scratch compared to working from already existing material and simply correcting: altering grammar, style, tense issues, and spotting type-os?

I want to offer the business owner a fair price but at the same time don't want to undersell my time and services.

I would love it if a few of you could get back to me ASAP as I have a meeting with the director of the business on Wednesday and would like to put forward a costings proposal.

Any thoughts?

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Copywriting Question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:29:13 PM »
Hi there

Interesting question. Unfortunately you don't say whether you're based in the UK, US or elsewhere. If you're in the UK (as I am) the NUJ Freelance Fees Guide may give you some idea where to start. It's at:

http://media.gn.apc.org/feesguide/pr.html

The Guide recommends a rate of 230 to 380 per 1000 words for corporate journalism, for example. Even 230 per 1000 words would be a good rate in my view, but it can be useful to have something like this to quote as a bargaining tool.

On your other point, you're really describing the difference between writing and editing. Editing is normally paid by the hour rather than the 1,000 words, and in the UK around 20 an hour is the norm. Check out the website of the Society for Editing and Proofreading (UK) for their recommended minimum rates:

http://www.sfep.org.uk

Hope that's some help at least!

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline WritersWrite

• View Profile
Re: Copywriting Question
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:52:28 AM »
Thanks Nick

Enormously helpful

I have been searching the net for ages and it has been so difficult to get a consistent and 'straight answer' quote (too many variations from one extreme to the next or cagey 'it depends' replies)

Nice to get a straight answer of what a market average is from someone who knows.

Cheers