Author Topic: Are you sure about that healthy drink?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Are you sure about that healthy drink?
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:26:35 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Scary when you see the pictures of the baddies equivalent lined up beside their drink. :o :o :o :o :o :o

Britain's worst 'health drinks' revealed: Pret orange juice is equal to 13 Hobnobs and Innocent smoothies are as sugary as doughnuts.

Exclusive research for Mailonline has revealed the 15 'worst' drinks in Britain for sugary content. Until recently, we thought the 'bad' drinks were those such as Coke and Pepsi, while orange juice was an easy way to get one of our 'five a day'. But more and more experts are warning that sugary drinks in any form are largely to blame for our ballooning waistlines and Pret a Manger's orange juice, pictured left, contains the same amount as 13 Hobnobs while a pomegranate Innocent smoothie, second from right, contains the same amount as three-and-a-half Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Offline sugy

• A baby squirrel.
    • Golf Grumble
Re: Are you sure about that healthy drink?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »
Better to blend some fresh fruits away, but who is going to peel them if they have to be? ???

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
Fruit, especially orange juice, contains very high levels of naturally occuring sugar. Most fresh fruit juices don't contain any added sugar, but 200ml contains about 20% of your GDA NATURALLY!
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »
I  have no need to feel guilty about my preferred  beverage -- coffee [no sugar] -- being accompanied by a dunker . . . at least it's only the one!

How bad must it be for folk who habitually choose drinks like those above -- one on the way to work, one with lunch and one after the gym . . . crikey, you could have accidentally scoffed 10 and half doughnuts or 39 Hobnobs! :o

Offline McWawa

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »
From the same UK mainstrem media tabloid thing ; a listing of the fattest nations in the world, and corresponding status of other nations. The Brits are up in the top league of fatties . . . sorry, largest body mass.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2301172/Fattest-countries-world-revealed-Extraordinary-graphic-charts-average-body-mass-index-men-women-country-surprising-results.html
"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?",
Axel Oxenstierna

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:52:32 PM »
Comparing sugar content alone tells you nothing about a drink's ability to pack on the pounds. You have to look at "nutrient density". This means the nutrition to calorie ratio. Coke and Pepsi have lower total sugar content then orange juice, but they also contain 0 nutrition. This means that the sugar is hitting your blood stream instantly, because there is nothing in the drink for you body to digest.

The sugar in orange juice hits your blood steam more slowly (think "slow release") because your body is digesting the nutrition within the drink, so your body doesn't experience the instantaneous blood sugar spike you get with cola.

Good guideline for sugar: if it's naturally occurring sugar, there will be plenty of other nutrients in the drink (or food), so enjoy it. If it's added sugar, then the manufacturers are probably trying to cheapen the cost of producing the drink, which means they aren't going to putting many real ingredients (read: nutrient-rich ingredients) in it, so it's best avoided.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:55:46 PM by Gayle »
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline elizeo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 06:11:02 AM »
When I read that Gary Holmes from Savannah was looking for essay on good habits for good health, I realised they should visit KitsapDailyNews.com as they have a lot of articles on it.