Author Topic: Hi, I'm new!  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Keith57

Hi, I'm new!
« on: March 27, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
Hi, everyone. I'm Keith from Norfolk, UK and new to the forum. I've also just signed up for ScriptFever - not done anything like this before, so should be interesting!

I'm also new to creative writing and with the help of some of Nick's great training resources, I've put two short stories (around 10,000 words each) onto to Amazon recently, plus a nonfiction title aimed at first time managers.

The nonfiction stuff goes under my Phil Kingsman pen name  and revolves around a character called 'the crabby old git' (he doesn't have a name because he is most blokes you've ever met - at least the ones I know)

I'm chuffed with their progress and the first title has maintained its number 1 slot in its key category since launch a couple of weeks ago. My aim is to add a title to the series each month, then issue a compilation of the first five little tales, before writing more in the same vein, or moving on to a new character - we'll see if the theory works!

Well, that's me for now and I look forward to both contributing to the forum and learning stuff from you lot!

...and why not join in this ScriptFever malarkey - a bit of fun and you never know, one of us might turn out to be a bit good at it!

Offline Laura H

Re: Hi, I'm new!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
Nice to meet you, Keith!  Glad to hear you're a Scriptfever participant. It's gonna be great fun ;D

Please take a moment to read the guidelines for forum etiquette -

http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

Have fun exploring the site.   You'll find Blue stickies  (with the push-pin icons) at the top of each board.  Read these.  They’ll help you find your way around and acquaint you with the local customs.

It’s considered good manners to critique a few pieces in Review My Work or Review My Poetry before asking for reviews yourself.  You’re more likely to receive helpful feedback after you’ve contributed a bit.

You may want to enter any open flash fiction or poetry contests.  They’re fun and anonymous. 

And, If you ever get stuck in one of the dark, winding tunnels or have a question feel free to pm a moderator – we’re the ones with blue stars over our heads. 

Enjoy your time on MWC  :D

Laura H
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:28:47 PM »
Hello and welcome Keith - glad to see you're jumping in with both feet.

I'll be keeping an eye out for you because I get the feeling I can learn a thing or you along the way.

Smiles,
Alice
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline bri h

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »
Hey Keith. Welcome to MWC. I'm not far from you, I'm over the other side of Lincoln near the A1. I have family over in Norfolk, Downham Mkt. Anywhere near you? I hope to see you out in a few threads mate. Bri.
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline Keith57

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:29:04 AM »
Hi, Bri

I live just south of Norwich, so about 50 miles from your relatives (not far in Norfolk terms!!)

Many, many moons ago my elder brother was an apprentice Jockey (honest!) just outside Lincoln in a place (I think) called Willoughton. Its cold in Norfolk but by eck, it always seemed to be snowing up your neck of the woods, summer and winter alike - but a beautiful place for all that!

Yes, looking forward to chatting with you all.

Keith

Offline bri h

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:33:50 AM »
Mornin Keith. I'm not from here, I'm from thee greem oop northhhh! Sunderland. I lost a bet and the forfeit was living down here with no job and no friends for 10 yrs and counting . . . But hey! Have to look on the bright-side!  ;D

Offline Keith57

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 05:43:52 AM »
Me neither, I'm from just outside St Helens - used to be in Lancashire, it's now part of some artificial concoction called Merseyside!

Never mind, they (who are 'they' anyway?) say progress is a wonderful thing - but I think I'll give it a pass: Let the day begin! ;)

Keith

Offline bri h

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 05:46:21 AM »
So what do you like to write? Poetry? Stories?  What?

Offline Keith57

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 06:21:51 AM »
Short stories since I can 'see' the story from start to finish. I find this plotting malarkey really hard when you are talking about 80k to 100k words - I've tried a couple of times to have a go at a proper novel, but got stuck at around the 20k word count. I've bought the Marshall Plan novel writing software: Is very comprehensive -  but still trying to get to grips with it.

...Having said that, I bought some great training from Nick and a guy called Geoff Shaw that has really been helpful in terms of structure, plot, characterisation, PoV and the like - so may revisit the big book thing at some point this year.

In any event, if I do write something longer, it will be specifically for the Kindle platform since they take the trouble to market the book for you and its a real kick to track your earning each day (I earned nearly £2.00 yesterday you know!)

I Prefer observational humour in terms of narrative, since it beats the real thing and I spent too long working in places you had to be grown up and serious (if that's not a contradition in terms for the Public Sector).

What do you like to write?

Well, I'm off to spend my book earnings on a paper and a Mars Bar. A balanced diet it may not be but what the hell, I'm a Northerner by birth ;) 

Offline bri h

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:32:46 AM »
"Well doggone it boy! I likes yoah stahll!" ;D

Oh well, I like to write poems(usually bad ones, go look) Some shorty's. (go look at them as well) I started with hallmarked poems, then did better ones(without the forced-rhymes) and progressed to short stories, usually about the coal mines(pits) That last word is the actual places I worked. Not what people are thinking of my efforts! Although . . . now that I'm thinking . . . ? ha ha.
Little tip for you. Don't just read the stories. Read the critiques(crits) that trail after em in their wake. All the education you'll ever need on writing is in them. Bri.

Pale Writer

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 06:49:43 AM »
Welcome to the site.

Offline Keith57

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 07:04:04 AM »
Sounds great. Where do I find your stuff - have you a link to them?

I remember the pits - yuck - but 'respect' to all the lads that worked in the dam things.

Offline bri h

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
Sorry there Keith, I got held up. Don't just read my stuff. Click on links to the other stuff. I'm probably at the bottom of the heap when it comes to writing, so spread yourself out and look at the others work as well. Click on the start page then scroll down to Review my Poetry(RMP) or Prose. Or go to all the threads on the pages. Work your way through them till you find something that interests you. Go to the fast threads where you can talk to people quickly, then you can generate 50 posts or more then you can edit your profile. Whoo Hoo! We know how to party here eh? When reading the stories or poems, leave a comment, saying what you thought about it, or what the words meant to you. That sort of thing. Bri.

Offline Keith57

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »
Yes, that's good advice and I will certainly have a god look around! :D

Offline thatollie

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 09:17:03 AM »
Welcome aboard. Who are some of your favourite authors?

Also, I live in Norfolk.
Never make a decision standing up.